Why Are My Fondant Bows Always Breaking!

Decorating By dreamcakes Updated 27 Oct 2007 , 9:48pm by JaneK

dreamcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamcakes Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 9:20pm
post #1 of 5

I have had it up to here with the multiple loop fondants bows. seems although if i even look at them they break. what am i doing wrong. how can i make this bow so unbreakable, is my fondant to dry , is the bow not thick enough? can someone help me please. and what do you dry your fondant loops on after you fold them?

thank you ,
dreamcakes

4 replies
IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 9:26pm
post #2 of 5

I use a 50/50 mix of fondant and gumpsate for my bows.

The fondant gives you time to shape your loops and the gumpaste is for strength.

dreamcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamcakes Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 9:41pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you , ihatefondant. i find your screen name quit hilarious! do you recommend eating the fondant/gumpaste mixture. i know some say gumpaste is edible , but not tasty.

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 9:48pm
post #4 of 5

I have used 50/50 gumpaste/fondant....I have also used all gumpaste (work quickly) and I have used fondant with gum-tex in it...all work well.
I dry them flat for a while till hard and then I stand them on the side so the bow is facing forwards, not up...more surface area is then exposed ...
I usually try and do them at least 4 days ahead but I have done them as close to 2 days before the cake is due...

To keep the bow loops open, I use saran wrap that is made into a fat sausage and it is really easy to remove...it never sticks.

HTH..

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 9:48pm
post #5 of 5

I have used 50/50 gumpaste/fondant....I have also used all gumpaste (work quickly) and I have used fondant with gum-tex in it...all work well.
I dry them flat for a while till hard and then I stand them on the side so the bow is facing forwards, not up...more surface area is then exposed ...
I usually try and do them at least 4 days ahead but I have done them as close to 2 days before the cake is due...

To keep the bow loops open, I use saran wrap that is made into a fat sausage and it is really easy to remove...it never sticks.

HTH..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%