Why Are My Fondant Bows Always Breaking!

Decorating By dreamcakes Updated 27 Oct 2007 , 9:48pm by JaneK

dreamcakes Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 9:20pm
post #1 of 5

I have had it up to here with the multiple loop fondants bows. seems although if i even look at them they break. what am i doing wrong. how can i make this bow so unbreakable, is my fondant to dry , is the bow not thick enough? can someone help me please. and what do you dry your fondant loops on after you fold them?

thank you ,
dreamcakes

4 replies
IHATEFONDANT Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 9:26pm
post #2 of 5

I use a 50/50 mix of fondant and gumpsate for my bows.

The fondant gives you time to shape your loops and the gumpaste is for strength.

dreamcakes Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 9:41pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you , ihatefondant. i find your screen name quit hilarious! do you recommend eating the fondant/gumpaste mixture. i know some say gumpaste is edible , but not tasty.

JaneK Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 9:48pm
post #4 of 5

I have used 50/50 gumpaste/fondant....I have also used all gumpaste (work quickly) and I have used fondant with gum-tex in it...all work well.
I dry them flat for a while till hard and then I stand them on the side so the bow is facing forwards, not up...more surface area is then exposed ...
I usually try and do them at least 4 days ahead but I have done them as close to 2 days before the cake is due...

To keep the bow loops open, I use saran wrap that is made into a fat sausage and it is really easy to remove...it never sticks.

HTH..

JaneK Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 9:48pm
post #5 of 5

I have used 50/50 gumpaste/fondant....I have also used all gumpaste (work quickly) and I have used fondant with gum-tex in it...all work well.
I dry them flat for a while till hard and then I stand them on the side so the bow is facing forwards, not up...more surface area is then exposed ...
I usually try and do them at least 4 days ahead but I have done them as close to 2 days before the cake is due...

To keep the bow loops open, I use saran wrap that is made into a fat sausage and it is really easy to remove...it never sticks.

HTH..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%