How Do I Keep My Icing From Cracking?

Decorating By bqmcdowell Updated 28 Oct 2007 , 4:35am by wgoat5

bqmcdowell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bqmcdowell Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 7:32pm
post #1 of 5

I made a birthday sheet cake with the crusting cream cheese icing recipe I found and I noticed that the icing cracked when I moved it. I saw somewhere on here if you add vinegar that it will help, but I was wondering if it will still crust over with the vinegar so it is easier to smooth out? Thanks for any help!

4 replies
nia0524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nia0524 Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 7:41pm
post #2 of 5

Do you have enough support under your cake? (meaning, did you only use one cake board under the cake...you may need to double or triple the boards.) I hope this helps.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 7:42pm
post #3 of 5

Adding a drop or two of vinegar will keep your frosting from crazing (getting those spider-web-like cracks).

This tiny amount of liquid will not prevent crusting in a crusting b/c. icon_smile.gif

HTH

DebbyTCL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebbyTCL Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 8:15pm
post #4 of 5

If you want to repair the crack, take the same icing & put it in a pastry bag with a small writing tip. Fill in the crack. Then take a small paint brush, dip in water, shake off the excess water, and smooth out the repair (you can do this with your finger, clean finger, as well). When it dries, you can't see where it cracked.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 4:35am
post #5 of 5

Im going to add here that I use plywood cut into all the sizes I need. For ME it is easy to get them back...I wrap them well with shelf liner or drawer liner then I wrap with the fancy Foil wrap for cakes. This cured all my cracking problems and it isn't really expensive to use these (if you get them back). I think a lot of people have issues with the cracking due to the stability of the boards you use. You have to double or even triple up on the cake boards you get to be stable. I even didn't like the round drum I used for a bigger cake!! So I had a round plywood platform made and wrapped it....then wrapped it with fancy foil.

This is just how I do it though icon_smile.gif some people may not agree with me

Have a great night

Christi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%