Thank You Indydebi

Decorating By Granpam Updated 29 Oct 2007 , 11:42pm by cakescraps

Granpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Granpam Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 6:05pm
post #1 of 12

For posting your icing recipe. When Crisco first went 0 trans fat I didn't have any problems with my icing. Well The last few cakes I have done I have had problems so the cake I just did for my grandaughters school carnival (in My photos) I used your icing recipe. Had two 8 inch rounds left because I used the WASC recipe so I iced them and took them to work yesterday to get their opinion. Everyone said icing and cake was wonderful. They have been my guinea pigs for the last 7 years. So Thank you again for sharing your recipe.

11 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 8:15pm
post #2 of 12

I am happy it worked out well for you!

I honestly thought that recipe would go to my grave (even my daughter doesn't have it!) but CC is such a sharing group, I couldn't NOT share it when everyone was talking abou the problems they were having.

you all are a BAAAAAAAD influence on me! icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 1:39am
post #3 of 12

well I did a search under indydebi as the author of the recipe and got nothing so maybe I am doing it wrong, but hey any other ideas... would love to see the recipe.... anyone wanna help me out icon_smile.gif

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 6:12pm
post #5 of 12

OK - now my interest is peaked. I keep reading about this fantastic BC, I see the ingredients, but I'm hoping you all can help me out with the instructions (maybe I missed it in the linked post?).

When does the Dream Whip powder get added? Is it with the PS or does it not make a difference. Sorry for the dopey question but this is my first one today - still thinking of what other ones I'll have later icon_biggrin.gif .

indydebi Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 6:19pm
post #6 of 12

snowshoe, since I'm one of those "throw it in until it looks right cooks", and being basically a lazy person, you can be assured that it really doesn't matter how you mix it.

You know the part of any recipe that says "mix dry ingredients .... mix wet ingredients ... then mix both"? Well, I ignore that part! I mix it all together ... mostly because I don't want to wash two bowls! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

*IF* i were to put any order to it, this is how I tend to do it: I put the crisco, milk, vanilla, dream whip powder in a bowl and mix to break up the crisco. This also gives the powdered dream whip and the milk a chance to mix.

I add the p.sugar last just because it's easier for me. I add the p.sugar slow enough and in quantities that doesnt' result in a big splashed mess of p.sugar on the counter.

But if your mixing bowl will take it all at once without splashing out onto your counter, that will work fine.

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 6:25pm
post #7 of 12

Thanks, Indydebi. That was the answer I hoped I would see; I'm notorious for not 'following instructions' (went to set up a printer this weekend that had 5 steps and I screwed that up since I figured 'how hard can it be'). Good to hear this is a forgiving BC!

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 9:34pm
post #8 of 12

thanks so much, I can't wait to try this one.

chovest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chovest Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 9:42pm
post #9 of 12

I love IndyDebi's recipe! Since I tried it a few cakes ago, I haven't made anything but! Thanks for sharing.

Oh, and we won't tell your daughter we all have the recipe. icon_wink.gif

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 9:58pm
post #10 of 12

My turn to ask a stupid question!

I've never made a buttercream without any butter. I vary recipes, but I'm afraid to leave out the butter entirely. Is anyone a butter and Crisco person who likes this recipe?

I know, I know. I should just try it. But I'm often short on energy and ingredients, and I hate to waste it if someone who is used to a buttery taste isn't likely to like it?

And, by the way....

I'm no expert. Just a home baker who sometimes tries her hand at something nicer, but I DID try adding Dream Whip to my most recent buttercream recipe and it crusted nicely. And I got lots of compliments about how "light and fluffy" it was.

chovest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chovest Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 11:00pm
post #11 of 12

I always used the Wilton recipe which is butter and shortening. This has a different taste, but I really enjoy it.

cakescraps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakescraps Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 11:42pm
post #12 of 12

I tried indy's recipe yesterday. Smoothest creamiest BC ever! Very pleased. I'll be using it from now on. I sometimes use a butter recipe and this tasted better!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%