Why Does Bc Color Fade?

Decorating By jlh Updated 27 Oct 2007 , 5:51pm by jibbies

jlh Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 5:15pm
post #1 of 3

I recently fell in love with a new BC recipe. I've only tinted it a few times. On Sunday, I tinted it lavendar (Wilton). We had to evacuate San Diego for the fires. When I returned 4 days later, the color was a gray-blue. My color is at least 2 years old. Do you think it's because the color was old, or do you think it has something to do with this recipe? Maybe the warm temperature and the long period of sitting?? The cupcakes were in an airtight container. I just want to know if this type of recipe is prone to losing it's color quickly. Thanks!!

1 cup butter
2 egg yolks
2 cups conf. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

2 replies
indydebi Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 5:28pm
post #2 of 3

When they took the #2 Red Dye off of the market over 20 years ago, this started happening.

Lavender is a combination of red and blue. The red faded and all you hav left is the blue. This is caused by harsh, direct light (sunlight or other bright lighting).

Anytime you have red in your color, you run this risk. Some reds are more stable than others, but I'm drawing a blank on which ones. Hopefully some other CC'ers will pop on here with that info for you.

jibbies Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 5:51pm
post #3 of 3

Last weekend I did this wedding cake, i made the flowers out of fondant and they matched the ribbon perfectly The bride did not tell me that the wedding cake was gong to be outdise, the flowers went on after I placed the draping and you could literally see the color change form the lavendar to the blue that you see in the picture,
Years ago I read somewhere that if you use water instead of milk in your icing the color won't change, but I was using Satin Ice fondant and it changed, I never mentioned the problem to anyone and the bride was estatic over her wedding cake.
What would I do differently next time? Take some luster dust to brush them the lavender color.

Quote by @%username% on %date%