Little Mermaid

Decorating By jouj Updated 29 Oct 2007 , 9:27pm by jouj

jouj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jouj Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 5:02pm
post #1 of 6

Hi, I received a very weird order today. A lady ordered 50 mini cupcakes for her daughter's Little Mermaid birthday. That's normal. Then she told me that she ordered a cake from a well known cake shop here!?!!!?! The cake won't have any decoration, it will be only covered with blue fondant, like the sea. What she needs from me is to decorate this cake!!?!!! She wants a BIG mermaid made of fondant, and sea creatures to put on the cake!! I know I'm stupid, but I said YES without thinking!! My problem is that I have no idea how to charge her. The cake is huge, it's 65x50cm (20"x26").
PLEASE HELP.

5 replies
weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 5:18pm
post #2 of 6

Charge her for each figure you make and make sure you include the time it took you to make it. And dont sell yourself short! Seems to me that it was kinda a slap in the face that she couldnt order the cake from you! But since you already said yes, charge the heckout of her! I would say atleast $50!!

jouj Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 10:12am
post #3 of 6

Thanks for your answer. I feel that $50 it cheap, I felt like charging at least $100. The plain cake she ordered is too big 26"x20", and they charged her around $250 for it. Do you think it's too much to ask for $100??? Thanks again.

PS: The Mermaid figure she wants will be around 15" tall.

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 10:54am
post #4 of 6

I think to do a mermaid that large 100.00 is a fair price. Go for it

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 3:01pm
post #5 of 6

I would charge her $100. Especially because its 15" tall. Go for it!

jouj Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 9:27pm
post #6 of 6

I sent an email to the lady giving her my price for doing the figures, she didn't answer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%