Ok What Is It With Me, Toba's Bc And The Fridge?!?

Decorating By Chef_Stef Updated 27 Oct 2007 , 3:56pm by Chef_Stef

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 3:31pm
post #1 of 3

This is getting annoying. icon_mad.gif

I've already sworn off regular BC cakes and am sticking to IMBC for good. Here's part of why, and it happened again last night. Everytime I chill a cake with this BC and then bring it back to room temp, as the air in the icing warms, it expands, and of course it has to go SOMEwhere so it blows out the sides of the cake in big air pockets that look like the cake is alive and bubbling. I don't fill too deeply or ice to heavily, but it still happens.

Last night I used BC again for a silent auction cake (the most recent in my pics), and I knew it would need to be nonperishable. So of course I chilled it before covering it with fondant (per Colette's recommendation!), then kept it in the fridge before delivering (as I always do, because I will not drive a room temp cake around in the car--too scary). It looked gorgeous, but of course three hours later after sitting in the warm school gymnasium, when the lady took it home who got it (for $108!!), sure enough there's this stupid big bubble burst next to the applique on the front, bubbling and cracking out the fondant!! I was so mad!

Am I the only one this happens to?? I don't like the idea of leaving cakes on the counter, but should they sit out to settle before putting on fondant? I have used IMBC under fondant without any of the problems I get with BC and air expansion.

I hate working with regular BC anyway, but I should at least be ABLE to. icon_evil.gif

2 replies
hope22023 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hope22023 Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 3:41pm
post #2 of 3

You're not alone! I have had it happen several times to me...with no real common factor on each cake (it has happened with both crisco/walmart shortening/high ratio shortening). Since Ive started firmly pressing the cakes down during stacking I havent had it happen. My husband suggested that- to push any airpockets caught between the layers outward. Other than that, I have no idea why cakes poot!

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 3:56pm
post #3 of 3

Hmm, that's something I hadn't thought of, pressing down on the cakes.

And I've noticed the same thing, some cakes do this, some don't, but when they do, I find myself wondering, "Do ALL my wedding cakes start having blow outs after I leave?!?"

Wonder why there's so much air in my Toba BC? The recipe says to beat on high for like 8 minutes, and to me it seems like that just beats air INto it that I have to try to get OUT of it later.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%