Problem With My Ka Paddle

Decorating By sweetrat Updated 29 Oct 2007 , 12:58am by vww104

sweetrat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetrat Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 1:31pm
post #1 of 15

I just got my KA in February and the enamel coating is already chipping off the paddle attachment in 3 places. I'm gonna have to order another one and I don't think it's covered under the warranty. Wondering if anyone else has had this problem or if I'm doing something wrong.

14 replies
adknight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adknight Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 1:44pm
post #2 of 15

I think this means the paddle is hitting the bowl causing the enamel to come off. If you have the Artisan, underneath the head is a screw that you turn to raise and lower the head.

You can also call Kitchen Aid customer service, and they can probably tell you if that's the problem. They sell paddles without the coating, too.

HTH!
~adknight

mommyandlovinit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyandlovinit Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 1:52pm
post #3 of 15

I have had my KA for seven years now and have never had this problem....I would call there customer service department

MimiFord Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFord Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 2:15pm
post #4 of 15

I have 3 paddles - 2 enamel coated, and 1 stainless steel.

I don't know what you do/don't do; but I don't wash mine in the dishwasher - just like you aren't supposed to wash pots/pans with teflon coating in the dishwasher - takes the finish/coating off.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 2:22pm
post #5 of 15

I have heard of these being replace for free, before purchasing a new one I would definitely call KA. Also they may be able to help you figure out if an adjustment is wrong so it doesn't happen again.

shebaben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shebaben Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 4:08pm
post #6 of 15

The same thing happened to my KA paddle, only the enamel is peeling off the top near the shaft that inserts into the mixer. PAT

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 4:09pm
post #7 of 15

I have two paddles .... one has a couple of small places where the white has peeled off. Probably a grand total of 2" worth, if you add the places together. The paddle is 15 years old. This is a problem? icon_confused.gif I'm still using it!

jnoel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jnoel Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 4:21pm
post #8 of 15

I've had mine about a year and I have a couple of place where it's come off, too. I'm pretty hard on it, though, so I assume it got nicked by a knife or something in the sink or dishwasher. I still use it just fine.

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 4:22pm
post #9 of 15

This is caused from hitting the bowl. I have the same problem. The KA that raises up has and adjustment but the one that the bowl raises up has to be take to a customer service to be fixed. At least that is what I read on line somewhere. Mine is getting worse. I bought a new paddle and it started doing the same thing. That is how I figured out it was the bowl.

A new paddle is $14.99 be it coated or uncoated http://www.kitchenaid.com/catalog/category.jsp?categoryId=158

You might call or email them to make sure what to do.

Diane

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 4:24pm
post #10 of 15

I have one(18+ years old), it began cracking off. I've seen paddles for other mixers made with the same stuff that's under the enamel. I peeled all the enamel off. A thought ran through my head...eeeeeeeew, what if food got trapped under the area I didn't peel off? Anyway, that thought is what prompted me to remove it all.

Oh, yeah, I believe it was because I failed to adjust the head of the mixer...it rubbed the bowl....but dang, when it rubbed the bowl, I knew it was getting everything mixed....you know...how sometimes it'll all look good but then you go to transfer it into another bowl/pan/whatever and there's that ...stuff...that didn't get mixed...all pressed against the bottom.

Since I've stopped being lazy and actually adjusting my mixer heads, I've not had that problem with any of the other paddles.

Now, I gotta scrape the bowl with a spatula...ugh

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 4:25pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I have two paddles .... one has a couple of small places where the white has peeled off. Probably a grand total of 2" worth, if you add the places together. The paddle is 15 years old. This is a problem? icon_confused.gif I'm still using it!

I'm just afraid some of it will chip off in a cake and make someone sick. I"m thinking the uncoated one would be better to use. I was lucky enough to get an extra bowl and paddle at an auction sale for $5. Some guy bought a stack of stuff and the bowl and paddle didn't match the mixer he bought so I offered him $10. Guess he didn't hear me because he asked if I would be willing to give him $5. I gave him the $5 and ran like hell. icon_lol.gif The bowls sell for $74.99.

Diane

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 4:34pm
post #12 of 15

I put my white one in the dishwasher but not my big silver one for fear it'll dull the finish.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 4:55pm
post #13 of 15

Had the exact same problem but Ive had mine for years. I called their service department and its exactly what lionlady said. You have to adjust the screw so that its not scraping anymore. Ive had mine for about 10 years so it wasnt under warranty. But the paddles are only like $14 so its not a big deal. But always wash them by hand, not in the dishwasher.

sweetrat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetrat Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 1:57am
post #14 of 15

Yeah, I had read that about it hitting the bowl and adjusting it on their site. My issue is it's on spots that shouldn't ever make contact with the sides. When it first happened, I just kept using it because it didn't seem to be flaking off. Now, it truely is getting worse and coming off in chips. I hate it when something says it's dishwasher safe but you find out later it's better not to. icon_mad.gif I'm gonna call customer service and see of they will replace it. I saw the burnished ones and even though I hate to get something that I know it's dishwasher safe, I really don't want to be in this boat again any time soon. I guess I'm gonna bite the bullet and buy an extra one just in case. I have cupcakes on Wednesday and a cake the next 2 weekends. ARGGHHHHHH! Love everything else about my KA, just not this!

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 12:58am
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by shebaben

The same thing happened to my KA paddle, only the enamel is peeling off the top near the shaft that inserts into the mixer. PAT

So is mine and it's only 1 year old. I was thinking about contacting them. Has anyone tried yet? Please update, before I call. Thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%