Help Decorations Are Falling Off!

Decorating By Kahuna Updated 27 Oct 2007 , 7:14pm by Chef_Stef

Kahuna Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 12:11pm
post #1 of 7

Trying to do a replica of daltonam's Daisy cake. It's frosted with Fr. vanilla b/c and I attached the daisies with royal but they keep falling off! The only thing I can think of is to make a new batch of Royal, maybe something went wrong with the first batch, but the leaves and stuff dried alright. I've got toothpicks all over the thing right now but I'm going to have to take them out before I deliver! Anyone have any ideas?

Sue

6 replies
ssunshine564 Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 12:39pm
post #2 of 7

I have also had this problem before. I too think there was something wrong with my royal icing. I just made a new batch and put them back on. I would use a little more icing this time. Hope this helps.

zoraya Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 12:40pm
post #3 of 7

use medium bc to stick them on . thats what I always do and they hold just fine. could be the royal just doesn't stick enough but bc should do the trick. Good luck!

Kahuna Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 12:44pm
post #4 of 7

O.K. I just made a new batch so I'm going to at least redo the large one's it seems like as the b/c starts to get soft as it sits out things start to slide. I'm thinking about scraping the b/c off where the flowers are and using all royal there. I don't know what else to do, plus it's really rainy and humid here don't know if that is affecting things, won't be making any meringues today!

Strazle Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 12:52pm
post #5 of 7

If your buttercream is not crusted the bc breaks down the royal. I would just use buttercream to attach the decos.

Kahuna Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 1:12pm
post #6 of 7

Oh I didn't know that (obviously) I bet that is what's happening because it kind of sweats and the water is breaking down the royal!! O.K. I have to reattach the big one's will try the buttercream and scrap the royal. This is the first cake these poeple have ordered from me so I really appreciate the help with this one!

Sue

Chef_Stef Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 7:14pm
post #7 of 7

Yep, I've always worked under the assumption that royal won't work attaching to BC, so I use BC.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%