Trick To "gilding" With Luster Dust?

Decorating By handymama Updated 27 Oct 2007 , 12:31pm by Dixiegal01

handymama Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 3:04am
post #1 of 7

Whenever I try to paint with either silver or gold luster dust diluted with a little vodka I end up with an uneven, somewhat clumpy finish. When I try to brush over spots that haven't covered evenly I may end up taking off even more! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif Who can tell me how to get the "Midas touch"?

6 replies
ShirleyW Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 3:18am
post #2 of 7

Here is the best tip I have ever learned and I got it from a customer service rep. from Creative Cutters in Canada. Mix one part Super Pearl luster dust to two parts either Nu Silver or Gold luster dust and then mix in enough Everclear or vodka to the consistency of unwhipped cream or a bit thinner. If it is too thick it will be globby, too thin it will streak and not cover well. Adding the super pearl will give you a true shiny metallic.

Here is a gumpaste cup and spoon done in gold this way, and a gumpaste shoe done in silver using the same method.

mom2spunkynbug Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 3:18am
post #3 of 7

Well, I have only ever mixed luster dust with lemon extract...but it can't be that different...

Anyway...if I find that it's clumpy, I simply add more liquid and give it a good stir. It brushes on beautifully! Hopefully it's as easy as that!

Good luck!

ShirleyW Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 3:23am
post #4 of 7
Originally Posted by mom2spunkynbug

Well, I have only ever mixed with lemon extract...but it can't be that different...

Actually it can be that different. There is lemon oil in lemon extract so it takes longer to dry than straight alcohol. It also tends to get a bit gummy to me.

revel Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 3:33am
post #5 of 7

WOW...Beautiful pics Shirely! Thanks for the tips!

handymama Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 11:58am
post #6 of 7

Thanks Shirley; you're always watching out for us.

Dixiegal01 Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 12:31pm
post #7 of 7

Great tips, I used the nu silver on some candy tools for a cake for my DH and I think my problem was getting the mixuture too thin....too much vodka (*hic*)....not a good idea when painting, j/k icon_lol.gif !!!! I think I'll try the Everclear next time, I've heard that dries a bit quicker. Thanks Ladies!

Quote by @%username% on %date%