First Fondant Order... Need Some Help Please!!

Decorating By skittles2120 Updated 27 Oct 2007 , 4:10am by Prudence

skittles2120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skittles2120 Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 2:21am
post #1 of 10

Hello, I need some help. I have my first tiered fondant cake order for Sunday. It's for an anniversary. My main questions lie in the timing of everything. I baked the cakes tonight. I plan on filling them tomorrow. Is it best to crumb coat tomorrow and cover on Sunday and do the decorating or want and crumb coat right before covering?

Also, one of the layers has a refrigerated filling. I can't put the cake in the fridge once it's covered right?

I would appreciate any advice from you experienced fondant decorators. Thanks so much!

9 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 2:24am
post #2 of 10

Yes you can put the fondant covered cake into the fridge. It may get glossy as it comes to room temp, but don't touch it and it will go away.

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 2:30am
post #3 of 10

I think it depends on how much decorating you have to do.
Its fine to crumb coat and cover tomorrow...put finishing touches on sunday....
I always have everything done the day before to allow time for fixes, last munte changes, add-ons, etc......

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 2:35am
post #4 of 10

I agree, if its due on Sunday I would cover and decorate on Sat.
I always try and get it done the night before its due so if anything happens I have time to fix or even redo if I have to icon_confused.gif . And yes you can refridgerate fondant covered cakes you just have to let the moisture evaporate/absorb before you touch it or it will leave finger prints. I learned this the hard way icon_redface.gif

Prudence Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Prudence Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 2:42am
post #5 of 10

I agree. I think that you have to decorate it on Sat. If there is anything left over to do, you have some time one Sun. morning. Fondant takes time to work with. Don't get caught on Sun. without enough time to do your deocrating. (Take it from me..... Yikes!!)

I live in FL and I do put my cakes in the fridge. You could IMAGINE the humidity here!! They have a bit of "sweating" when I first pull them out. BUT don't worry... The sweat will go away and they will be fine.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 3:00am
post #6 of 10

I recently made my first fondant covered cake. When I cut it, the underside of the fondant was very sticky and unappealing. I don't know if I used the wrong icing under the fondant, or just what (I used butter cream). Are all fondant cakes like that or do I need to do something differently? I found the gumminess extremely unappetizing. I've avoided trying more fondant covered cakes because of this, and I'd hate to sell one and have an unhappy customer. Any help anyone can offer would be great! Thanks!

Prudence Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 3:10am
post #7 of 10

Hey there-

Fondant is a funny thing. SO many people ask me about it, because that is ALL I use. I do not do the buttercream thing, just not my thing.

I give people the option of trying it, and I tell them about the taste and consistency. Truly, to me, it is just about the decoration of the cake. I am not a buttercream eater, and I know many out there like me, that scrape away the buttercream and just eat the inside.

So, when my clients cut into it, I tell them that the fondant will peel away, and they could try it and see if they like it. Believe it or not, some have. My biggest client has and didn't like it, but still keeps ordering cakes. AND help me sell them at a show!

Keep making your fondant cakes. People will eat the cake underneath. In my case, they haven't been concerned because no one in my neck of the woods does fondant cakes...

Good luck!!

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 3:32am
post #8 of 10

Thanks for the information on the fondant. Do you have a favorite brand you'd recommend, or do you make your own from scratch? I've only used Wilton, and I've seen several comments at this site that it's not as good as some others. I wondered if the quality of the fondant might also have something to do with the stickiness.

kimberlina25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimberlina25 Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 4:04am
post #9 of 10

I prefer to make MMF, i like the taste and texture of it. I have refrigerated fondant cakes without any problems

Prudence Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 4:10am
post #10 of 10

MMF definately tates better! However, I use Wilton, when in a bind and Satin Ice is great. You could find that at cake decorating supply stores.

I tell my clients what it is and give them the option of trying it. I, personaly, do NOT like it. To me, it is decoration. When I eat buttercream cakes, I usually scrape that off too. I know MANY people that don't particularly like that either!

I think you should give them the option of eating it. When you cut the cake, it does peel away.

For the stickiness, have you tried crisco? That is what I use and it works like a charm!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%