Gallery Etiquette Question

Lounge By cakedesigner59 Updated 27 Oct 2007 , 2:49am by crazy4sugar

cakedesigner59 Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 9:37pm
post #1 of 3

Hi all: I just posted pictures to the gallery under "my photos". I'm new around here. I don't know the etiquette on these things. If someone posts a nice comment on your photo, should you write them a thank you? If so, what's the easiest way to do that? I don't see any kind of link you can click to get right to the person's email or anything. Sorry to be such a dunce. Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

2 replies
dragonflydreams Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 2:29am
post #2 of 3

. . . I'd be interested in knowing the answer to this too . . . I have usually just "thanked" the posters in the comments myself . . . but perhaps a PM is the preferred method?? PM's are easy to do . . . simply click on their name in the comment and when it goes to their info go to the PM (personal message) and click on it . . . fill in the message you want to send and a subject etc . . . and away you go. One more thing . . . the message you have now made will not actually leave your outbox until the intended recipient actually opens your message to them. (I still have several PM in my outbox that people have not yet read icon_sad.gif

Maybe I don't get too many comments due to the fact that I don't follow the proper rule of the game . . . so like I said . . . I too await the "expectations"

thanx for your question detective.gif

crazy4sugar Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 2:49am
post #3 of 3

I've been here for a few months, so I'm no CC expert either.

As for etiquette, I go by the "When in Rome..." motto:

When I first viewed photos I noticed that the artist would reply to comments with "thanks for the nice compliments" and answer any questions about the technique, recipe, etc. If someone would like to discuss the photo in depth, it seems to be the custom to PM the creator.

However, please be aware that some cake artists get TONS of PMs and cannot possibly answer them all. Most people have busy lives and not much time to hang out on CC (unlike me...I'm here for 1-2 hours a day!). icon_eek.gif

You will also see some really presumptuous (in my opinion) requests within the photo comments, e.g., "hey, how'd you make that cake? put a tutorial together and email me the directions by this afternoon." Most cake decorators don't sit down and type up a tutorial for each cake. Some do...most don't. I can only imagine how much this type of request turns off a decorator. Don't expect a response with that approach. thumbsdown.gif

I've asked CCers for tips and pointers, e.g., how to make gumpaste flowers, a particular bow, box top, etc. and I have given out recipes and techniques on how to carve a 3D cake. I firmly believe it's HOW you ask that matters. Please remember to say "thank you" when you are given help. Ahhh....those magic words (please & thank you) never go out of style. thumbs_up.gif

Hope that answers some questions and welcome to're gonna love it here.

Quote by @%username% on %date%