The Answer Is..... (And No I Don't)

Decorating By Doug Updated 27 Oct 2007 , 7:48am by Ursula40

Doug Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 9:26pm
post #1 of 4

to the question in the comment posted:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 741mly

wow beautifull.. How you did the base?

base is two cheapo foamcore boards from Dollar Tree glued together and edged w/ black ribbon (edged after fondant was on)

(you know they're cheap because despite being listed as 1/4in thick each, the 1/2 in ribbon still sticks up a bit above the two glued together!)

base was cut to a 16x16 square using a masonite cake base as the template

on that fondant laid down in following order.

rolled out ivory colored fondant about 12-14 in long and about 4 inches wide.

brushed board w/ everclear (pure grain alcohol) and laid fondant along one side of cake

using 16" long ruler laid along side of cake, cut ivory so it ended at each edge.

then used sharp knife to trim off overhang of fondant at front edge of board.

repeated 3x more for each side.

using long ruler and dull side of paring knife, impressed lines into fondant 1" apart for total of 10 keys per side.

rolled out black fondant and cut multiple 1/2in wide strips that were about 12 in long each.

cut black strips into 1 and 1/2 inch lengths.

using a cheat sheet (still needed despite 8+ years of music lessons! icon_rolleyes.gif), used everclear to glue black keys in place. --- at one end had to cut black key in half to turn the corner to keep the keys going as if on real keyboard.

rolled out more black fondant

laid fondant smoother on fondant and using right angle cornered side, cut square corner with excess length and width.

brushed corner of board w/ everclear and placed black piece in place and gently nudged it into a tight fit against ivory fondant.

trimmed away excess black at board edge

repeated 3x for the other corners.

printed out stencil style templates for treble and bass clef symbols.

rolled out ivory fondant

used x-acto knife to cut fondant symbols - 2 each treble and bass. (dots for bass clef made w/ #3 tip)

brushed symbols w/ everclear and then placed on opposing diagonal black squares.

brushed all cake tiers and the entire keyboard w/ super pearl luster dust.

brushed gold luster dust on the treble and bass clef symbols
(would use silver next time i think)

HTH

------

10" - 8" - 6"

WASC made using the Almond Carmel coffee creamer (never again!) and extender recipe.

BC flavored w/ creme bouquet filling in torted layers and as crumb coat under fondant

Satin Ice fondant: white, ivory, black

inspired by: mommykicksbutt's cake http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_668263.html

done gratis for the fund raiser for a local oratorio society(i'm on the bd. of directors and sing tenor II)

-----

photo has been retouched to remove cluttered background and distracting items to left of cake (and smooth out the wrinkles in the tablecloth a bit too)

----
and no, I don't hate the cake, think its a disaster. Etc. Etc. Etc.!
(someone's been listening to the King and I!)
LL

3 replies
pastryjen Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 9:49pm
post #2 of 4

Such an elegant and classy cake. Very nicely done and thanks for sharing the method.

JodieF Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 4:13am
post #3 of 4

Very cool Doug....I think I'm going to steal your keyboard design for a couple of cakes, if you don't mind! icon_biggrin.gif I always donate one to my younger son's Band Banquet and my older son (the composer you complimented so sweetly) asked for a cake for his frat shindig in December. I didn't even know there WAS a muscians frat! Mr. Rogers was even a member of Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia! icon_rolleyes.gif
Speaking of my composer, he auditioned for and made the top University Choir. They're touring China next May....very cool stuff.
Anyway....thanks for the directions!

Jodie

Ursula40 Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 7:48am
post #4 of 4

Hey Jodie, give us a heads up when he comes to China, will they be in Shanghai as well? Hope so

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%