How Long Have You Been Decorating?

Decorating By Elserj Updated 30 Oct 2007 , 12:48pm by katwomen1up

Elserj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elserj Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 8:01pm
post #1 of 68

Just curious to match pictures with experience.....

67 replies
meancat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meancat Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 10:29pm
post #2 of 68

I have been doing it on and off for a couple of years (self taught) no classes - you?

PJ37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PJ37 Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 11:54pm
post #3 of 68

I am self-taught (with Wilton) and started when I was in eighth grade. I decorated all my kids cakes, then took a 20 year break. Now that I am retired, and have CC as a wonderful resource, I am enjoying my hobby again!

kaseynh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseynh Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 12:36am
post #4 of 68

I started in June taking two Wilton classes back to back. (two classes a week for a month) I needed some help as my DD's wedding was in July and my DSIL to be wanted me to make their wedding cake. (in my photos) I was very stressed out about it.

Well to say the least, I got hooked! My instructor told us about CC and I am totally addicted to it. I have gotten so many wonderful ideas here and have learned so much more than I ever could in a class or out of a book. What a wonderful resourse we have here! icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gificon_smile.gif

revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 2:24am
post #5 of 68

Almost one year! I can hardly wait till i get a few years experience! By then i should be doing as well as most of the decorators on here!

Rincewind Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rincewind Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 4:17am
post #6 of 68

I've been making birthday cakes for my kids for several years, but I've only been really enthusiastic the past year or so. I just finished the last birthday cake for this year tonight. I'm so proud- this is the first year that I made each cake completely edible. In the past, I relied heavily on little toy figurines and such .... icon_smile.gif

koalabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koalabear Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 4:29am
post #7 of 68

I took my first Wilton class in Aug so that I could get some hints on doing my sons 4th birthday cake, a Hummer. I am hooked! And my husband would rather have an unfrosted cake! icon_sad.gif But I make them anyway! icon_evil.gif

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 4:33am
post #8 of 68

15 years since my first wilton pan, big bird, for my son's 1th birthday

loli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loli Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 4:38am
post #9 of 68

9 months and i can not stop thinking about new crazy cakes icon_biggrin.gif

sweetreasures Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetreasures Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 4:39am
post #10 of 68

Always interested but too far away to take classes. Daughter getting married so I searched for wedding cake ideas and here I am, addicted, trying to self teach.

mezzaluna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mezzaluna Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 4:42am
post #11 of 68

Been at it for six years, self-taught.

simplysweet72740 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysweet72740 Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 4:44am
post #12 of 68

I have been at it for about 7 years now!!! Its my life and my passion!! My evenings are spent on here or designing new cakes!!! TEE HEE Anyways thats it!!!

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 4:46am
post #13 of 68

Kind of hard for me to say when I first started decorating. I got a little bake set when I was 4 and have been hooked on baking ever since. I always decorated cakes for my immediate family, growing up but I didn't have books, classes, dvd's, or CC available, so I kind of played it by ear. I decorated for my own children, but all just in fun.
When I was 34 I took a job in a bakery and loved it. I have been working bakeries ever since then and that was 32 years ago. I never tried for show cakes or super complicated designs. I loved making it all simple and fast and edible...and still do. I hate trying to copy someone else's design, I think each decorator should develop their own style. ...and most of all, I think you should have lots of fun with it.

Prudence Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Prudence Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 4:50am
post #14 of 68

I have been decorating cakes since May 2007. I absoluely love it. Everything looks like it could be a cake!!

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 4:51am
post #15 of 68

14 months. i'm self (um...i mean ...CC) taught. amazing what one can learn is such a short period of time!

counted the cakes i've done and photographed this year...as a hobby....the count is 80+

time for either one of two things. a break, or a shop!

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 6:14am
post #16 of 68

10 years, I'd say...at least seriously decorating with real tools and pans. I started painting and drawing on my kids cakes probably 18 years ago.

I've had two Wilton classes.

Elserj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elserj Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 9:13pm
post #17 of 68

I have to say, I'm very impressed with all of you guys. I have been baking since I was old enough to use the oven by myself. The first thing I ever baked was chocolate chip bars with my brother (of all ppl) teaching me how. I only started decorating last summer when I took the Wilton courses. My mother decorated cakes when I was a child so I like to think that I have some sort of inherited talent. He, he.

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 10:31pm
post #18 of 68

I made a few cakes for my kids birthdays before discovering CC and then really started taking it seriously back in june or july of this year. CC has taught me so much. Its been an amazing experience.

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 10:46pm
post #19 of 68

My first cake was my sister's wedding cake, which was (wow) 10 years ago! Since then, I've made a few cakes a year, and am now known at work as "amy cake".

TheCakeGirl87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeGirl87 Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 10:56pm
post #20 of 68

Less than a year but i took classes 1,2 and 3 over the summer!

TheCakeGirl87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeGirl87 Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 10:56pm
post #21 of 68

oops! I hit submit one to many times!

sweetpea8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea8 Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 1:24am
post #22 of 68

last summer for me. so, a little over a year i guess.

...and i still LOVE it! thumbs_up.gif

fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 2:22am
post #23 of 68

Almost 10 months. Can't wait till New Years. That's my 1st year anniversary!! icon_biggrin.gif

tika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tika Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 2:35am
post #24 of 68

I took the Wilton classes about 4 years ago, but before that I had been just doing cakes for family (My SIL has five kids and she's kept me busy for the last ten years). I love baking and I learned decorating by watching my aunt and nana make all kinds of goodies for every holiday and birthday.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 2:39am
post #25 of 68

I've been baking since I was a kid, when I made my first loaf of bread from a recipe in my dads "joy of cooking", and I've been doing cakes equally as long, But it was just recently (4 mths ago) that I discovered the joys of fondant, before that it was my trusty wilton shaped pans, canned frosting and my star tip. The cheese burger cake in my pics was the first cake I covered in fondant. I think I've come a long way in a short period of time but I still have a long way to go!

lilypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilypie Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 2:40am
post #26 of 68

I started almost 2 1/2 years ago, shortly after my youngest was born, as an excuse to get out of the house (if only once a week), i took the Wilton classes. I also took the classes with one of my MILs(i have 3, lucky me! icon_confused.gif ), to get to know her a little better. I had never made a cake before that!
Well, now i'm all addicted and stuff.
I started getting asked to do wedding cakes almost immediately, but waited until the middle of this year to actually take anyone up on it (i wanted to be a little more prepared) I'm lovin it!

whitesoxlover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whitesoxlover Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 2:41am
post #27 of 68

i started 13 years ago for my daughter's first b-day which was hugely special, because she had major open heart surgery when she was 6 day old. i made her big bird. now i have 7 kids and a lot of b-day ckaes to make. i just went to the wilton school 1 month ago(which was so much fun) to fine tune my techniques. and i am going back to take some more classes and can't wait to take the class with nicholas lodge. i plan to become an rn, but there is something truly rewarding when i am done with a cake.

beck30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beck30 Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 3:04am
post #28 of 68

I baked with my grandpa all the time when I was little. he loved to bake but ive only been getting into the art of it since June. I love it. This is the first thing ive ever been passionate about besides my kids and DH. I should be starting my classes next month if I get around to it (my kids keep me busy) but if not im learning alot on my own. Thanx to everyone here.

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 5:01am
post #29 of 68

I've also been baking since I can remember..... not long after that I started decorating, but I started my bussiness almost 8 years ago.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 5:07am
post #30 of 68

I have been decorating for 2 years! Still going and can't wait to do more!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%