My First Time

Decorating By pinkchef Updated 26 Oct 2007 , 11:21pm by crazy4sugar

pinkchef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkchef Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 6:40pm
post #1 of 4

hello everyone i am new to cake central and have so far found all of this info so helpful. i am a trained chef and have a passion for sweets, i have been asked to do a wedding cake and it is for a friend of my aunts. i told her that i have not ever done an actual cake but have taken a few classes and i would be willing. i am not sure what to charge, she wants a square fondant covered cake with a small amount of piping and fresh flowers. i need some helpful advise for what to charge. she is expecting apx 400 guests and so a medium sized cake and the rest sheet cake.
help
the pinkchef

3 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 7:59pm
post #2 of 4

Welcome to Cake Central. It depends partly on the market where you are. Prices can range from $1.25 a serving up to astronomical amounts.

Charge slightly more for the fondant covered cake, and generally a bit less for the sheet cakes.

2508s42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2508s42 Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 10:58pm
post #3 of 4

Hey Pinkchef, welcome... you will love it here.

I charge $3 a serving for a wedding cake that has fondant and filling. I bake from scratch, and make my own fondant. The price rises from there based on the design of the cake.

Sheet cakes would be iced in buttercream and would be $2 a serving. The detail in the design would not be as dramatic, though complimentary (obviously), so for an approximate price of.....

100 serving wedding cake... $300
300 servings of sheet cake... $600

total order.............$900

Hope this helps

crazy4sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazy4sugar Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 11:21pm
post #4 of 4

Here in Massachusetts it's $3 and up for a basic buttercream cake and $4 and up for fondant. Sheet cakes are approx. $2.50 per serving.

Look online to see what your local bakeries and cake decorators are charging per serving.

Please don't sell yourself short and charge too little; it's A LOT OF WORK and you'll earn every dime.

Good luck...I'm sure you'll do great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%