Made My Delivery, But Feeling Guilty....

Decorating By MomLittr Updated 26 Oct 2007 , 11:18pm by crazy4sugar

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 6:31pm
post #1 of 4

....delivered my 40 cookie order today, but not feeling good about it. I wasn't happy with my royal icing - the border design did not hold up due to all the humidity around here lately (but we did need this rain) and the taste was not what I wanted, despite my trying. I was going to say something to the customer, but did not - which is why I feel guilty. Guess if they are real bad she will either e-mail or call me. She had had my cookies at someone elses house and loved them, but those did not use royal icing, just cookie icing in tubes from the store. I used royal because I wanted to make a decorative border, which bombed out anyway. Should I have told her what I was disappointed in with these?

deb

3 replies
Nicky76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nicky76 Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 10:55pm
post #2 of 4

Well, when I made a wedding cake this past weekend I felt the same way that you did about certain things. I thought that the edges were overdone on the cake and I thought that everyone would taste the seeds in the raspberry filling. But I didn't point any of my disappointments out to them. I stayed for the cutting of the cake and everyone had good things to say. I found every flaw with my cake but no one else noticed. Sometimes we are more picky about our own work. If you feel really bad, you could follow up to see if everything went well. She may not feel the same way that you do. Just a thought. I'm sure some others will offer their advice.

noley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noley Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 10:59pm
post #3 of 4

welllll i never try something new on an order I always try it ahead of time, if you're not happy with it then at least it doesn't HAVE to go out to a customer. I wouldn't worry unless she says something. It looks kind of strange for you to say I sent you cookies and charged you for cookies I simply was not happy with. However, if she doesn't like them she might not call at all, instead she might just not place another order. If you really worry about it maybe make up a certificate for fifty percent off her next order and mail it out to her. or maybe less fifteen to twenty percent off, and see if she places another order. If she does, chances are she didn't have a problem with her order you got to her today. If she doesn't there is your answer. I would put good only for holiday orders placed by.. and put a date on the certifcate. That way you have the order ahead of time ... and you know sooner rather than later. Just an idea
Jen

crazy4sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazy4sugar Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 11:18pm
post #4 of 4

Deb, from what I see in your CC portfolio your work looks great.

A lot of the time I don't like the taste of my cake but others do (I have taste testers, and like Jen, I won't send out something that doesn't pass their taste buds).

I like the idea of sending her a 15% off gift certificate on a holiday order; if she was happy, she'll order again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%