Is Gumpaste Edible?

Decorating By daisyscakes Updated 27 Oct 2007 , 1:19am by jules06

daisyscakes Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 6:28pm
post #1 of 6

I only used it on one cake {the tinkerbell cake in my Gallery} but it got so hard I can't imagine anyone being able to eat it. My husband tried a piece of the wilton gumpaste that I had bought before it dried and said it didn't taste very good either. I know this is a silly question but I have to ask!!

5 replies
MimiFord Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 6:27pm
post #2 of 6

No, it is not edible. Some use 50/50 (gumpaste/fondant) - still not edible.

HTH - and please let your DH and customers know icon_smile.gif

kathys90 Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 6:36pm
post #3 of 6

You know, that's a really good question. I had a cake last weekend with gumpaste roses and leaves on it, that I instructed the customer to not eat them because they get too hard.

He told me Monday that his grand-daughter was eating them, she just said they were crunchy, but they tasted good to her. I used powdered sugar to knead it with.

So, maybe?

msmeg Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 6:32pm
post #4 of 6

Yes it is edible there is nothing in it tht can hurt you unless you wire the flower then it should not be eaten

now I can't say it tastes great but it does not taste bad though I have not tried the wilton.

gumpaste is not meant to be eaten but you could if you wanted to.

If you tried to bite into a thick piece it might break a filling but petals would not they are very delicate.

Meg

gr8yf Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 6:38pm
post #5 of 6

I use Nicholas Lodge's recipe and yes it is edible. What I tell my customers is "I will never be that hungery."

jules06 Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 1:19am
post #6 of 6

Yes, gumpaste is edible ! Would I eat it ? No !!
My kids would & do eat it icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%