Decorating Countertop?which One?

Business By kettlevalleygirl Updated 29 Oct 2007 , 7:27pm by kettlevalleygirl

kettlevalleygirl Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 5:38pm
post #1 of 15

I May?? have the opportunity to add a small kitchen in the basement that I could use to do my decorating, (baking will stay upstairs in my kitchen). I was wondering what the best countertop, would be??
Stainless Steel, Granite, Marble, or just regular countertop material. I work with fondant, so I will be rolling it out on that, or should I stick to using the big plastic sheet I bought at Walmart??
The measurements would be approximately, 6 feet by ? however wide they make countertops??
Thanks Lorene

14 replies
JoAnnB Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 8:50pm
post #2 of 15

I selected regular formica for my counter and I love it.

granite is expensive and fragile - stains and watermarks are common
Stainless is nice, but it will show scratches
Marble, extremely expensive and cold-fondant needs some warmth

My mistake was selecting all white. It shows every tiny thing. It does provide lots of illumination in my small space. Choosing again, I would choose a light pattern that is predominately white.

cakesondemand Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 1:41am
post #3 of 15

I have 2 4ft stainless steel tables and they are great and easy to clean its for decorating so the scratches don't bother us.

1234me Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 2:56am
post #4 of 15

I have granite and LOVE it! Use cutters directly on top of it and doesn't leave any scratches icon_smile.gif Cleans up easily too!

idoweddingcookies Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 8:03am
post #5 of 15
Originally Posted by cakesondemand

I have 2 4ft stainless steel tables and they are great and easy to clean its for decorating so the scratches don't bother us.

I have the stainless steel tables as well.. Have to agree with Sharon, It's so easy to clean..

kettlevalleygirl Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 2:45pm
post #6 of 15

Thanks for the input..I tried to find this post after I placed in yesterday, and could not find it... icon_cry.gif
I guess there is a glitch?? or something that prevented me from finding it, I even did a search looking for my own question, and couldn't find it icon_confused.gif
So I thought, I would wake up this am and try it again, yehHH icon_biggrin.gif
I like the idea of granite, but the cost?? probably a lot more than even the cupboards for this small kitchen..
Stainless, I also thought would be good, just because the durability etc..
Thanks again, Lorene

itsmylife Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 4:39pm
post #7 of 15

I have quartz (Zodiaq by Corian), and the other big quartz one is Silestone.

I love my counters.

BUT... if you don't really care about the look... I think stainless is probably a really good option.

summernoelle Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 5:01pm
post #8 of 15

I have Corian. Stain and scratch resistant, which is a big help when making something with Super Red. I have always been able to get the stains off easily.

kettlevalleygirl Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 5:23pm
post #9 of 15

My neighbours just remodelled their kitchen, and they put in Corian. It is beautiful, a big huge island...
I have heard it is great to work on, totally forgot about that option, although, I will have to consider the cost$$
Always something!!

schildwaster Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 12:09am
post #10 of 15

i love my corian. super easy to clean. i've oversprayed my airbrush i don't know how many times and it always wipes up great. i roll out my fondant and sometimes i don't even need to use powdered sugar.

peg818 Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 12:27am
post #11 of 15

I have corian and granite. Love working on both. Out of the two surfaces the granite is near indistuctable. For a total cake kitchen i think i would go with the stainless it would be very easy to clean and probably the cheapest option.

Jenn123 Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 2:05am
post #12 of 15

I have stainless tables and regular kitchen laminate. Both are fine. There is NO reason to spend tons on the counter tops unless you want to really WOW people who visit. I mix some colored icing right on the counter, so i prefer the laminate. It cleans up great with a little bleach. The metal table tends to get scratched and incorporated in the icing...yuck. I don't know what would be good for rolling fondant on.

kettlevalleygirl Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 7:06pm
post #13 of 15

The metal table tends to get scratched and incorporated in the icing..

what do you mean?? the flavor changes? or pieces of metel get in the icing?? I would think that you would have to be pretty rough with it to get pieces of metal into the icing??

Jenn123 Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 7:11pm
post #14 of 15

Not metal in the icing exactly, but it can turn a little grey. I don't do it on the metal tables because of this.

kettlevalleygirl Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 7:27pm
post #15 of 15

Quote by @%username% on %date%