Calling All Southerners! Cake Ball Flavors

Decorating By sun33082 Updated 31 Oct 2007 , 12:11am by acookieobsession

sun33082 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sun33082 Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 4:49pm
post #1 of 15

I need ideas for southern flavors for cake balls! I was at work today meeting with our marketing guy and it came up that I make cakes and such, and then the famous cake balls came up, and he said he knows the owner of probably the only Southern Style Restaurant here in my city who is looking into smaller desserts for his lunch crowd. Of course cake balls would be perfect! The marketing guy offered to take cake balls to the owner of this restaurant for me to see if he'd be interested in me making them for the restaurant. How cool is that??!!

So anyways I need ideas for southern flavors. I live in Southern Indiana, but I don't really know what qualifies as southern. I haven't even been to this restaurant, so that's my first step is to go there and get a look at the menu icon_smile.gif

Any help from you guys would be great as usual! Thanks!!

14 replies
sun33082 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sun33082 Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 4:58pm
post #2 of 15

Oh, they have a menu online!! I'll still be making a visit to the restaurant though.

lvablkmn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lvablkmn Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 11:23pm
post #3 of 15

Iwould say that Red velvet cake is the most southern cake flavor!!

Ginnycakes3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ginnycakes3 Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 1:38am
post #4 of 15

Yes, Red Velvet. Also Mississippi mud Cake, Southern Jam cake, Lane Cake, Lady Baltimore Cake, Apple Stack Cake. Hmmm...also Sweet Potato Pecan Cake, Pecan Pie Cake, Kentucky Whiskey cake, Kentucky Jam Cake, Key Lime Cake, Bourbon Pecan Cake (hic)...

Ginnycakes3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ginnycakes3 Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 1:39am
post #5 of 15

Oh yea.. and also Sweet Southern Coconut and Burnt Sugar Cake.

poody1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poody1 Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 1:42am
post #6 of 15

Red Velvet is as southern as it gets I think but you could look into maybe a reciepe that uses "Southern Comfort"(the liquor) and pecans. I'll have to dig a bit to see if I can find the reciepe for you. I want to say it's called a "Southern Comfort Cake".

poody1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poody1 Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 2:11am
post #7 of 15

ok found it. go to this site.
[url]http:allrecipes.com/Recipe/Southern-Comfort-Cake/Detail.aspx
Read the reviews as well. They had a great idea for an icing for the cake as well. Hope this helps.[/url]

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 3:15am
post #8 of 15

Carrot cake came to mind... lemon cake? strawberry shortcake?

I've never made cake balls, but I'm beginning to think I'm going to have to try them. icon_smile.gif

Good Luck!

pottedmeatchunks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pottedmeatchunks Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 12:33pm
post #9 of 15

best cake ball EVER: red velvet cake dipped in white chocolate rolled in jimmies

woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 12:38pm
post #10 of 15

red velvet!
pound cake!
I am originally from Mississippi, and those always make me think of home!

Hookste Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hookste Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 12:44pm
post #11 of 15

Anything with pecans. You can put them in it or sprinkle them on top before the chocolate dries. I'm in GA where pecans and peaches are it - but I can't imagine peach cake being any good. What about Hummingbird?

melkneec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melkneec Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 1:05pm
post #12 of 15

Apple butter cake!! yummy!

cariage Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cariage Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 1:22pm
post #13 of 15

I would love to try a yellow cake, pound cake, butter cake chocolate cake ball dipped in a pecan praline coating. I have a recipe for the best pralines on the planet, and I just haven't gotten around to making them yet. good luck with your cake balls

mommyandlovinit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyandlovinit Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 1:24pm
post #14 of 15

Walnut pound cake diped in white chocolate and rolled in crushed walnuts....yum

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 31 Oct 2007 , 12:11am
post #15 of 15

I make red velvet cake balls covered in white chocolate. When i am making the chocolate I add a few drops of the lorann cheesecake flavoring so they really taste like red velvet with cream cheese icing.

HTH
Julia

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%