Who Wears An Apron?

Lounge By Memie Updated 30 Oct 2007 , 3:01pm by dinas27

Memie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Memie Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 3:33pm
post #1 of 25

Does ANYONE else wear an apron? I went out to get the mail one evening and a neighbor saw me with an apron on. Ever since then, she has called me June Cleaver. She says NOBODY wears and apron anymore.

I love my aprons (I have alot of them). They're so practical. A place to wipe your hands, keeps your clothes from getting stained and the pockets are handy for putting things in that need to go to another room, plus I always know where my glasses are. So I was just wondering if I'm REALLY that far behind the times. If so, I'm still not giving up my aprons.

24 replies
fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 3:40pm
post #2 of 25

I don't but I wish I did. That's on my list of things I need. Come to think of it, everytime I go cake shopping, I never seem to see them. Do I have to special order somewhere? Hmmm....

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 4:01pm
post #3 of 25

I LOVE APRONS!!!

Given I only wear then when I bake, (just because I don't cook very often).

My favorite ones are these ones that I got in Mexico - they are perfect!! Instead of tying them, I just put them over my clothes. They are polyester, but perfect! Oh, and two separate pockets so in one I put my MP3 player and the other a damp cloth or other cake tools.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 4:25pm
post #4 of 25

Since I make my staff wear our "uniform red" aprons, I own about 20 of them. The bib kind....so I'm covered neck to knee.

And I wear them all the time, even when I have to run out to get supplies. You've no idea how many times I have to explain to people "I'm not a walmart employee...", or "I'm not a Sam's employee .... " icon_lol.gif

It embarrasses my 15 year old .... "Oh God, Mom, can you PLEASE take the apron off!" icon_lol.gif

I buy them thru Restaurant Equippers for less than $5 each: http://www.equippers.com/shop/search.aspx?q=apron

cakescraps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakescraps Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 4:59pm
post #5 of 25

I wear one quite frequently. never know when something's going to splatter, or need to wipe your hands.

i wore it to my Wilton class the other night and 2 people asked me to help them find something. never saw a store employee wearing a Winnie the pooh apron, but hey.....

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 5:10pm
post #6 of 25

I wear aprons! Not always when I cook dinner, but if it is a big dinner then I most likely will.

I ALWAYS wear one when I am baking and decorating. I only have three right now and have more on my christmas list! I do have one for the holidays that I wear when people are around (it is white with blue snowflakes so I am also afraid I am going to stain it)

My favorite is a PC one that I was able to get. very comfortable and so easy to wash!

kettlevalleygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kettlevalleygirl Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 5:05pm
post #7 of 25

I bought a beautiful pink/red floral apron this last summer in San Fran, at Williams Sonoma. It is so cute and of course had to have it and wear it especially if we have company.
I thought that I would like to duplicate the pattern and sew it for all the women in the family, it is girly cute!!
princess.gif

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 5:52pm
post #8 of 25

I have several aprons. I wish they made them bigger cause I'm fat right now icon_sad.gif My favorite is a denim one that is larger from Pampered Chef. I used to be a consultant a few years ago. I love it because the drawstrings are adjustable and it's larger than ones you can buy in the store icon_biggrin.gif A lady who sews for the farmers market is making us (mom and I) special ones though and going to put our logo on it icon_biggrin.gif

I got used to wearing aprons back when I was a waitress and so they don't seem weird to me. Your neighbor is just jealous icon_wink.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 6:05pm
post #9 of 25

In case anyone is as dumb as me.....

It's logical now that I know it, but it's something I never thought about before taking the food safety class.

Remove your apron before going to the bathroom!! If you touch your apron between "doing your business" and washing your heads, you have contaminated the apron. So you wash your hands and you think you're ok ... until your clean hands touch the contaminated apron and it then transfers to the food.

It was a real "DUH!" moment for me when I heard this. dunce.gif

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 7:40pm
post #10 of 25

No I just do my baking naked icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif LOL j/k....no I wear an apron...with no clothes on!! (J/k again) ok so I'm feeling silly slap me icon_biggrin.gif

I don't but soon I will receive my mom's vinatage aprons to decorate my kitchen (once it receives it's makeover) some are from 1910 and some from the 30's icon_smile.gif

I love them I don't wear them but I love them. I have 6 T's I had made with Cakes By Christi on the chest. 3 are to decorate in the other 3 to deliver in icon_smile.gif.

Sorry about the silliness

Christi (oh yeah have a great day BTW icon_smile.gif )

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 8:27pm
post #11 of 25

I have tons of bib aprons. Wear them every time I'm in the kitchen. As indydebi mentioned, I always remove my apron before using the bathroom. I never wear my apron out of the house - except to get the mail or help a customer get a cake into their vehicle.

tattooedlucy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tattooedlucy Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 9:03pm
post #12 of 25

I wear one every day at work.. but that doesn't count I guess. I do wear them at home as well.. I have around 50 vintage ones that I wear, (40's - 50's) and a few kitchenaid cook for the cure aprons. They are great because you always have something to cover you. I do have a habit of wearing them around the house on super baking days though.

As for the bathroom thing - very true. If we leave the bakery and go elsewhere we are supposed to change it when we come back to a a fresh one, and if you do take it to the bathroom with you, you have to change it when you get back.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 10:19pm
post #13 of 25

I wear my apron all the time....otherwise I would have color and batter all over me!!!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 10:43pm
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

In case anyone is as dumb as me.....

It's logical now that I know it, but it's something I never thought about before taking the food safety class.

Remove your apron before going to the bathroom!! If you touch your apron between "doing your business" and washing your heads, you have contaminated the apron. So you wash your hands and you think you're ok ... until your clean hands touch the contaminated apron and it then transfers to the food.

It was a real "DUH!" moment for me when I heard this. dunce.gif

Good point debi! I am used to it b/c I got into the habit when I was working at the bakery, I do where it around the house when I am baking but it is usually just to the computer chair about 15 ft away from the kitchen to check out CC while something is in the oven.

For the bathroom situation, I made an apron rack that hangs next to the door that I go out of when I go to the bathroom, So it is a reminder to take it off and hang it up, and it is right there when I get back. (A coat rack would also work, but I just had to make one out of stainless steel)

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 10:51pm
post #15 of 25

I have a coat rack in my laundry room (right between the bathroom and the kitchen where I can easily hang up my apron when I take a trip to the restroom and it's right there when I come back out icon_smile.gif

vitomiriam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vitomiriam Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 1:19am
post #16 of 25

I wear an apron because I'm a mess in the kitchen. Flour ends up everywhere. Thank you Indydebi for telling me something I was oblivious to--I'm embarrassed to say I never thought of taking my apron off in the potty. icon_redface.gif Yikes!!!! It does make sense though.....

Ohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ohara Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 10:23am
post #17 of 25

I also wear an apron. My family will say some evenings when I'm done in the kitchen...you still have your apron on. I started wearing one when I was first married and had kids. When I would come in from work and start dinner, I was ruining my work clothes. So my mom made me a couple of aprons.
I found some really cute, vintage looking aprons while we were on vacation this summer, but they wanted $50-60 for an apron. icon_eek.gif. I am going to try to make them for me and my girlfriends for Christmas this year.

shooterstrigger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shooterstrigger Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 11:35pm
post #18 of 25

I wear them all the time because I am such a mess. I can't seem to break the habit of wiping things on my pants. I am a kitchen manager and we have to wear white aprons. When they get too dingy I bring them home and die them.

MustloveDogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MustloveDogs Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 12:34am
post #19 of 25

Yep, I wear them when I bake and also when I decorate. I have a thick blue one for baking and a looney tunes tasmanian devil one for decorating (it's my creative time one! icon_lol.gif )

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 4:27am
post #20 of 25

I'm 25 and I wear an apron
I try to wear it every time I cook or bake (at least 4 times a week- my mom and I take turns)

then you have some nights like tonight that I was making fondant and didnt put the apron on.... and im wearing black pants and a black shirt- needless to say Ill be doing a load of black tomorrow.

Actually I need to get my own apron, but I will have to make myself one- havent found any I really like.

kettlevalleygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kettlevalleygirl Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 12:02pm
post #21 of 25

This is the apron that I want to remake, for all the women I know. It is a change from the basic aprons you can pick up for $5.00. Although, I would rather mess up my $5.00 apron!!
LL

Memie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Memie Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 3:29pm
post #22 of 25

I knew I wasn't the only one. Most of my aprons are vintage - from my grandmothers. They're my favorites, but I also have the basic ones and I've made some for various holidays. The one kettlevalleygirl posted is really girly cute. I love it.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 3:51pm
post #23 of 25

Yepper I wear an apron! If I didn't I would be covered in BCI & powdered sugar~ icon_smile.gif I have CC's apron. Wash only in cold because it shrank nearly to my waiste when I washed it icon_sad.gif I still wear it though icon_smile.gif I also have a chocolate colored apron I got at ICES convention & an old blue one. I love apron's. Go June Cleaver!

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 5:04pm
post #24 of 25

I wear an apron most of the time, if I don't forget to put one on! I have 4 to pick from depending on my mood! AHAH 2 green pretty standard ones.
And I was feeling a need to be more "stylish" with my apron selection, so I ordered two pretty ones. I found some for pretty reasonable prices on ebay:

http://stores.ebay.com/MainStreet-Store_W0QQssPageNameZl4QQtZkm

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 3:01pm
post #25 of 25

I'm 21 and I love wearing an apron. I have a nasty habit of wiping my hands on my pants otherwise. icon_redface.gif I even put two on my wedding gift registry - and I got them in a big basket of baking stuff! I'm thinking of buying all my bridesmaids aprons for Christmas in the same chocolate brown as their dresses and a picture of us ironed on from the day. 3 of the 4 are bakers and the other could really use one (a mess in the kitchen). I always wore an apron when I baked with my grandma - maybe it's a nostalgic thing. All her aprons are at my mums house - there is the prettiest mint green half apron with a ruffle, I should really get that from her! As for the washroom thing - I once worked in a meat factory, that means changing your smock and washing your boots between every department and when you go the washroom. The apron comes off!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%