Lots Of Questions...need Help Asap!

Decorating By fabulicious Updated 26 Oct 2007 , 7:56pm by fabulicious

fabulicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabulicious Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 1:55pm
post #1 of 4

I am just starting my business. Right now I am not lisenced and don't have a commercial kitchen to use. I have been asked to participate in an event next weekend. It is an event that attracts between 500-1000 women. So, I am contributing 2 cakes, a cupcake display, and a cookie basket in exchange for having a booth there! So...here are my questions-

1. Can I sell things at my booth?

2. Any suggestions on how I should tackle such an enormous project? I am planning on at least cupcakes and cookies for sale or sample. If I can get away with selling stuff, I would maybe do a couple cakes too.

3. How far in advance can I make things?

4. I need creative packaging ideas for cupcakes, I don't have the time or money to order a bunch of cupcake boxes. I do have some chinese take out boxes on hand?

Thanks for all your help and inspiration!! I will probably have more questions as I go!!

3 replies
fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 4:31pm
post #2 of 4

I am no expert at these kinds of things but I think it's worth putting in my two cents.

1. Can I sell things at my booth? - You may have to ask the people who invited you to join if this is feasible.

2. Any suggestions on how I should tackle such an enormous project? I am planning on at least cupcakes and cookies for sale or sample. If I can get away with selling stuff, I would maybe do a couple cakes too. - If you can sell stuff, great!! It would be great if you have cake dummies in your both. Pictures of cakes you have done. You will also need tons of calling cards, flyers, your portfolio etc.

3. How far in advance can I make things? Plan ahead and write everything down. If you can do it today, get it done!! Don't waste time waiting until it's too late.

4. I need creative packaging ideas for cupcakes, I don't have the time or money to order a bunch of cupcake boxes. I do have some chinese take out boxes on hand? Be creative and different. That's what catches attention. I'm pretty sure whatever resources you have right now (take out boxes) will be fine. Find ways to decorate and make them attractive.

I'm pretty sure someone with more experience can help out. Goodluck!! thumbs_up.gif

absolutecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
absolutecakes Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 5:22pm
post #3 of 4

Hello!

I think doing displays is a great idea, it allows people to see your talent. If you can sell cookies and cupcakes etc, it will hopefully bring in some money and allow people to taste your product. The only concern I have is not having a liscense or commercial kitchen. I don't know about where you are, but we can only sell at a farmers market if you are making food from a home kitchen. Everything has to be labeled with the ingredients and there are numerous rules to follow. If it's not a farmers market and it's something else, you need permits and a liscence in order to sell food. If you get caught here without one, it's some major fines $5000-10000! I'm in Canada, so like I said it might be different where you are. It's just something to think about. I don't want to discourage you in anyway.

Katie

fabulicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabulicious Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 7:56pm
post #4 of 4

That's what I was worried about. The event is an artists' fair so it is kinda like a farmer's market but not exactly the same. There will be a restaurant with food and wine tasting but I am the only booyh of this sort. I was really hoping to make some money...!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%