What cake/s do you feel provides the best dense quality-but still is tasty?
I want to be able to stack it.
If you're looking for a butter cake I like Sylvia Weinstock's recipe. (But I add all the eggs at one time instead of separating them)
Based on Sylvia Weinstockâs recipe
Fills (1) 12x3 pan or (2) 8x3 pans
2 Â¼ C sifted cake flour
2 t baking powder
Â½ t salt
Â½ lb/ 8 0z (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temp.
2 C sugar
4 large eggs
2 t vanilla
1 C sour cream
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt
3. Cream butter in large bowl till fluffy and light in color, about 2 min. on Med. Speed.
Add sugar and conât to beat till light and fluffy.
4. Add eggs, one at a time; Add vanilla or vanilla beans.
5. Reduce speed to Low and add dry ingredients alternately with sour cream; beginning and ending w/ flour. Scrape sides of bowl and beat for 1 minute.
6. Bake till done: top should be nicely browned. Test for doneness with a toothpick- it should come out clean