Denser Cookie Than Nfsc That Doesn't Spread

Baking By Verina Updated 30 Oct 2007 , 12:47am by alanahodgson

Verina Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 10:49am
post #1 of 9

I'm going to make some chrismas trees with cookies (you know the star shaped cookies of various sizes stacked on top of each other to create a chrismas tree) and find that the NFSC is a bit too soft for me. Can anyone give my a recipe that is denser (any flavour will do) but doesn't spread. I want to make about 12 of them for my nieces and nephews and would like to use the same cutter for the MMF as those I use for the actual cookies and doesn't want the cookie to show.

8 replies
diana Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 7:15pm
post #2 of 9

Try the Wilton recipe icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 6:24am
post #3 of 9

I like this recipe from the Wilton website. It is what I use for my cut outs. It holds it shape well and firms up well. I just used it for cookies on sticks a few weeks ago.

You could also do a gingerbread cookie for the tree as well.

http://www.wilton.com/recipes/recipesandprojects/cookierecipes/lgbatch_rollout.cfm

Large Batch Roll-Out Cookies

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups butter
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon Wilton Almond Flavor or Vanilla Extract
5 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk

Preheat oven to 375°F. Cream butter and sugar together, then add eggs and flavoring, beat until fluffy. Sift dry ingredients together and add alternately to creamed mixture with milk. If mixture is too sticky, add flour, a little at a time, until dough is easy to handle. Roll dough 1/8 in. thick. Cut out cookies, dipping cutter in flour before each use. Bake for 6-8 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned.

Makes 36-42 average sized cookies.

alanahodgson Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 1:49pm
post #4 of 9

I've never tried NFSC but my recipe is exactly the same ingredients, plus cream; however it uses a different process. Rather than creaming the butter and sugar, the butter is cut into the flour/sugar mix (like pie dough). Then you add the cream and combine it with your hands. I'm wondering if this would produce a more dense cookie b/c you're not whipping the air into the butter/sugar mixture. Here's the link to the recipe:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Butter-Cookies-IV/Detail.aspx

Destini Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 2:20pm
post #5 of 9

The Wilton recipe is great. It's the only one I use.

7yyrt Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 2:25pm
post #6 of 9

I use Melissa's recipe - it's exactly like the NFSC, just don't put in the baking powder.

crazy4sugar Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 2:29pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks, Texas Sugar, I'd love to try something new for my cut outs.

I also use my Zen Spice cookie recipe a lot because it's yummy and doesn't spread, but I'd like to have plain vanilla option too.

Verina Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 9:46am
post #8 of 9

Thank you SO MUCH for all your replies. I only use my internet during the week at the office and that is why I am only replying now. Nonetheless, I am going to try ALL the recipes mentioned - just an excuse to bake icon_wink.gif .

Happy baking...

alanahodgson Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 12:47am
post #9 of 9

Let us know your results!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%