Little Twist To Nfsc

Baking By sgirvan Updated 31 Oct 2008 , 7:31pm by 7yyrt

sgirvan Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 4:09am
post #1 of 19

I am starting to do more cookies than cakes lately so I have been on the lookout for creating a good solid 3-4 recipes to always use. I have the chocolate rolled, gingerbread, NFSC and now I have a NFSC with chocolate chips.
I added 1 cup on mini chocolate chips to the recipe and it worked great and made them perfect for those who like chocolate chip cookies.

18 replies
JenWith Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 6:49pm
post #2 of 19

Interesting! One cup of minis to the full recipe of NFSC? Doesn't sound like much for the whole NFSC recipe but I'm willing to give it a shot. I've tried the rolled chocolate chip cookie recipe from The recipe worked very well but I don't like the texture of the overall cookie. Others like it in my family. I don't care for it. It's more of a shortbread cookie when baked.

Thanks for the tip!

amastercreation Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 2:08am
post #3 of 19

great tip. gotta try it next time.

sgirvan Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 2:57am
post #4 of 19

the reason why I only put one cup is because they are mini so it is alot of chips and I don't want too many or the chips don't encorporate into the cookie making it difficult to ice smooth. These are my new fav cookies to eat with out icing icon_biggrin.gif

JenWith Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 2:23pm
post #5 of 19

That's true. I didn't think of that. I will have to try these next time.

purplebutterfly1234 Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 2:35pm
post #6 of 19

Any other recipes? I thought the NFSC were good, but my little ones won't touch 'em! icon_surprised.gif
They'll only eat the frosting off of them.

azeboi2005 Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 2:46pm
post #7 of 19
Quote: little ones won't touch 'em!

wow purple i'm so shocked that your kids didn't like them icon_surprised.gif ! my mom, who doesn't like cookies w/ exception to the neimen's recipe, loved them! do any of you know how to go about making the NFSC into a chocolate cookie? just wondering.

ctackett Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 2:48pm
post #8 of 19

What is nfsc

Cakerer Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 2:57pm
post #9 of 19

I read somewhere that you could add a cup of peanut butter to the NFSC recipe...not sure where I saw that. If I find it, I'll add the link.

EDITED: now that I think about it. Maybe it was a cup of peanut butter chips.

Rincewind Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 3:26pm
post #10 of 19
Originally Posted by purplebutterfly1234

Any other recipes? I thought the NFSC were good, but my little ones won't touch 'em! icon_surprised.gif
They'll only eat the frosting off of them.

My younger kids don't care for them either. It amazes me! They like Penny's even less! Little weird-o's. icon_smile.gif I'm going to try them with the mini chocolate chips. They do love chocolate chip cookies. Thanks for the tip, sgirvan. The peanut butter chip ones sound good too, Cakerer. Maybe I can use a mixture of the peanut butter chips and chocolate chips.... The NFSC recipe is so nice to work with, and makes a really nice-looking cookie- I hope I can get them to work for my family.

sgirvan Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 7:20pm
post #11 of 19

I would think that any mini chip would do just fine, my family keeps bugging me for them now, I think I started something icon_eek.gif

paintinggrams Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 11:57pm
post #12 of 19

Great idea sgirvan. I have a granddaughter that likes the NFSC but doesn't eat them because of the icing. I usually have to leave some of them plain. I use to use Wilton's recipe and now I use Antonia74's and have been trying to get her to at least try them because I think that they definetly taste different. Antonia's doesn't seem to get as rock hard in the center. Plus the last couple batches I've been adding the same flavoring that I use in the cookies into the icing. But if I try them plain with the mini chips it may be a great alternative for her so she can eat them as well. Lynda

cakescraps Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 12:03am
post #13 of 19

nfsc is no fail sugar cookie--listed in recipes here on the site. Excellent sugar cookies!

have only made them once earlier in the month, and my kids have asked for them about 10 more times!

PistachioCranberry Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 12:06am
post #14 of 19
Originally Posted by cjstor

What is nfsc

No Fail Sugar Cookies

jessieb578 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 12:15am
post #15 of 19

Hi all, hope you don't mind my question about the nfsc because it seems that you have experience with it. I made the nfsc for these cut out cookies I did in my pics and they were great! They didn't spread at all!

BUT, when I went to do those severed witch finger cookies, they spread like the bandit!! I don't understand it. I even kept them cooled overnight in the refridgerator.

Any suggestions? Was it because maybe I made fat fingers and the shape couldn't hold up? I probably should have made skinnier fingers icon_lol.gif

sunnigirl Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 1:51pm
post #16 of 19

I had the exact same thing happen. First time they spread pretty bad. So the second time I tried I made the fingers about the size I wanted and then pushed the sides of the finger together to make it taller instead of perfectly round and it worked great.

Also, I add maple flavoring instead of vanilla to my cookies and you should hear the comments, people don't recognize the flavor but LOVE them. This is my signature cookie now.

cakesonoccasion Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 4:46pm
post #17 of 19

Huh. MAPLE! Never woulda thunk that- will have to give that a try- I usually use orange with the same reaction from people- they can't place it but love it. As far as the witch fingers go- YEP- gotta make 'em skinny and tall and chill well before baking.

barkley Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 12:34pm
post #18 of 19

I had the exact same problem! Even when I tried making them skinnier, they still "puffed" so much icon_sad.gif It's just for the kids ~ they won't see the pic that looks much better, but I was a little disappointed. They looked SO good before I baked them!

Any other comments on how to hold the finger shape better are welcome!! Different recipe? What would happen with less baking powder?

7yyrt Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 7:31pm
post #19 of 19

Melissa taught me to leave out the baking powder in the NFSC. The cookies still taste the same, but don't puff at all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%