Making Mums And Daisies

Decorating By ac2steachk Updated 26 Oct 2007 , 5:59pm by flowermom

ac2steachk Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 2:22am
post #1 of 5

Hello all, I took the Wilton II class, but only learned how to watch the teacher struggle with her own flowers. I've been practicing at home and am getting better but I am wondering if anyone has tips for making mums and daisies. I'd like to eventually be able to make both flowers with RI and with BC for various cakes and I don't like the directions in the Wilton book.
What are your thoughts on icings--does one work better than the other for these flowers?
Special thoughts on piping techniques to get "good" flowers?
I have found that a tip 101 works better than a 104 for my daisies, but the petals are still a little awkward.
Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks for your help.
-allison

4 replies
plbennett_8 Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 11:37am
post #2 of 5

I just had to miss my class yesterday that covered the Daisy's for personal reason, icon_sad.gif so I would like some info on this subject also... Big Bump! icon_smile.gif

Thanks,
Pat

shadowgypsie Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 5:48pm
post #3 of 5

ac2steachk,

Sorry about your instructor not teaching you well.

I am a Wilton Instructor and I make flowers with my students as I walk thru the class.

On your Daisy template place a dot of Icing in the center of the nail. holding your bag so your tip is almost at a horizontal angle pull tip just to that dot.
this should help your prtals look more like petals.

I do better at showing than telling how to do somthing.

hope this helped on your daisy.

shadowgypsie Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 5:53pm
post #4 of 5

ac2steachk,

I am a Wilton Instructor and I make flowers with my students as I walk thru the class.

On your Daisy template place a dot of Icing in the center of the nail. holding your bag so your tip is almost at a horizontal angle pull tip just to that dot.

flowermom Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 5:59pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowgypsie

ac2steachk,

My Wilton instructor wasn't all that great at flowers either, but she was really nice at trying to help us learn. I never could get the hang of a daisy (or the fondant roses) will have to try them again. After I finished the courses I got a couple Wilton books and with the help of CC, I was able to make some of those flowers and designs I never could do in class! Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%