Just Curious...

Decorating By Melan Updated 26 Oct 2007 , 3:10am by EmmyD

Melan Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 2:14am
post #1 of 9

I was wondering... What is your favorite part about making cakes? For instance, do you like the actual baking part of it or do you prefer the decorating? Just say your most favorite part of the whole process, from planning to delivery.... I'll start...

icon_biggrin.gif My favorite part would have to be delivering a wedding cake and the bride seeing it for the first time!

icon_cry.gif And for kicks... My LEAST favorite part would have to be the way my body aches at the end of each day while working on a wedding cake!

8 replies
indydebi Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 2:46am
post #2 of 9

My biggest "high", believe it or not, is when I do the trim and see a cake that is so perfect .... the cake has risen higher than the pan, so the trim is "wall to wall" with no droopy corners; no air holes and a "tight" texture, almost "non-porous", etc. I never sifted my cake mixes before reading about it on CC and ever since I started doing that, the cakes are BEAUTIFUL inside! And the longer I beat the batter, the more silky the batter, the more beautiful the cake itself. The outside is a fabulous golden color....not tan or brown, but golden.

I can cover any cake with icing and decor to make it look great, but when you cut into a cake and see that the INSIDE is also gorgeous.......!

The icing-on-the-cake icon_biggrin.gif is when I'm cutting the cake at the wedding and people come back for seconds and tell me how great the cake is, how it's the best cake they've ever had, when they ask for a piece to take home. Being there to hear the feedback in person is the greatest!

crazy4sugar Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 2:54am
post #3 of 9

I really hate to bake, but I love to decorate. The more intricate and painstaking decorations the better (for a detail-oriented perfectionist).

swtness Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 3:00am
post #4 of 9

I am also a big fan of the decorating part, but my favorite has to be when I deliver a cake, and the customer tells me how much they love it. icon_biggrin.gif

Zarrina Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 3:02am
post #5 of 9

I have to say that my favorite part is adding the piping and flower decorations after the cake is already frosted. I've only done buttercream cakes so far so that might change once I break out into other mediums of cake decorating!

I just made a cake yesterday, though, that got me very excited--it was perfectly puffed and golden brown and had risen above the pan by about an inch. What a great feeling! thumbs_up.gif

pastryjen Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 3:04am
post #6 of 9

I love to zone out lose myself in the decorating (without time constraints or interruptions) - my favourite part.

(kinda like sitting down with a cup of tea or coffee and a really good book and a hot bubble bath - calgon, take me away!)

GenGen Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 3:07am
post #7 of 9

yup i too prefer the decorating part lol.

cariage Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 2:59am
post #8 of 9

I love the delivering part also. Just makes me feel good.

EmmyD Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 3:10am
post #9 of 9

I love finding new recipes that are absolutely wonderful. I also loving seeing the reactions to the cake, the look of when they first see it and when they take that first bite. My favorite things to say about why I love making cakes is that it makes people happy. Even if people dont like to eat cake, they like to look at them!

I most definatley do not like the cleaning aspect of it because my kitchen is so small that no matter what I clean during the making process, everything looks a hot mess and there is stuff everwhere!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%