Question About Freezing Cakes

Decorating By krazeekaker Updated 26 Oct 2007 , 3:18am by krazeekaker

krazeekaker Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 1:21am
post #1 of 5

i know some of you don't like to freeze cakes but i was wondering how long can you actually keep a cake in the freezer before you need to use it? also how do you know when a cake is defrosted enough for you to ice and or cover in fondant. i know chilled cakes are easier to ice and fondant but i've seen in several posts that they should be defrosted before you ice them. i know i'm bombarding with questions but will the length of time you freeze a cake be affected if it is filled with a filling or just buttercream? I've got a wedding cake at the end of november on a friday night and i'm going to have to do something to be able to organize my time so i can get everything done. any help is much appreciated.

4 replies
dezzib27 Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 1:38am
post #2 of 5

I remember one person said that they froze a decorated cake for something like 8 months and it still tasted fresh, so a few weeks will be no problem. Also it depends on the filling as far as hpw long that can be frozen, but MOST should be fine. I personally have decorated frozen cakes with buttercream, but I do not use fondant so I am not sure about that one. HTH!

debster Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 1:44am
post #3 of 5

A friend of mine did table cakes for a wedding something like 20 of them . She completely decorated them and had them in the freezer for like 6 weeks and when I ate it I would of never known had she not told me.

cwcopeland Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 2:01am
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazeekaker

i know some of you don't like to freeze cakes but i was wondering how long can you actually keep a cake in the freezer before you need to use it? also how do you know when a cake is defrosted enough for you to ice and or cover in fondant. i know chilled cakes are easier to ice and fondant but i've seen in several posts that they should be defrosted before you ice them. i know i'm bombarding with questions but will the length of time you freeze a cake be affected if it is filled with a filling or just buttercream? I've got a wedding cake at the end of november on a friday night and i'm going to have to do something to be able to organize my time so i can get everything done. any help is much appreciated.

I freeze my cakes all the time, the most being about 3 months. I think it's easier to frost them. I like torte, fill and frost as soon as I can get a knife through them. You just have to wait to let them totally defrost before they will crust. One time, I had baked some fresh cakes and also had some frozen in the freezer. I used one fresh layer and one frozen layer on a cake. My husband and I both agreed that we liked the frozen layer better. It was more moist and the flavor was more intense. Just our opinion.

Good luck!

krazeekaker Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 3:18am
post #5 of 5

thanks everyone for sharing your info. I've heard of other people saying that they prefer the frozen cake also. I haven't had a need to freeze a cake yet but everyone's input has eased my mind that the quality of the cake would not be compromised by freezing it. thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%