Plastic Squeeze Bottles For Royal Icing

Baking By Edee Updated 26 Oct 2007 , 5:27pm by -Tubbs

Edee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edee Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 12:36am
post #1 of 3

does anyone know where to buy these that you can attach your tip onto and anyone use these? likes or dislikes?

2 replies
carleen2140 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carleen2140 Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 2:07am
post #2 of 3

Hi, about the plastic bottles. I use them. I started with 2 small bottles that I bought at Hobby Lobby in the art department, for paints. I can not use my own tips on these, the coupler cap would not close. The bottle cap had such a small hole that I had to enlarge it with pins. My hands are not very steady, I do find these small bottles helpful. I might need only a small amount and I hate to use a parchment or disposable bag for it. I only used RI in the bottles.

I also purchased at Michaels a case with 18 4 oz. bottles with a 40% off coupon. I'm sorry I bought these. The plastic for the bottles is so thin that when you squeeze them, they collapse, and take forever to get back in shape. Meanwhile your wasting time waiting for enough air to return to bottle so you can use again. The good advantage to these is you can use your own tips. Which is a good thing because the holes in the bottle tips have to be a 5. too big. Also another thing to remember is, you need two bottles for each color. One for a stiffer icing, for piping, and one for a thinner icing to flow or fill in. Plus a funnel to fill the bottles.
I am new at cookie decorating and when I first used them, I either had my icing too thick, and had a hell of a time squeezing the bottle, or it was so thin, it ran out as soon as I turned the bottle over. Once the bottle has the icing in it, there is no way to thin it, or make it thicker. It's more of a battle using them, then it's worth.

I hope this helps you decide.
Carleen

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 5:27pm
post #3 of 3

I use them (I bought mine from Bakers Kitchen), but only for large numbers of cookies. If it is a small order, or one with lots of colours, I find it too time-consuming to fill and wash them all - I would use ziploc bags for the flooding icing and disposable icing bags for piping.
For lots of cookies, or lots of the same colour icing I think bottles are great. You need to keep the bottle upside-down though, otherwise you're constantly burping the bottle, or getting puffs of air instead of icing. I put a damp paper towel in the bottom of a large glass or empty ice cream tub and stand them up in that. Keeps the icing at the business end and also stops it from drying in the tip.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%