Freezing Cake

Decorating By Wishfulthinking Updated 25 Oct 2007 , 11:37pm by tasteebakes

Wishfulthinking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wishfulthinking Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 11:01pm
post #1 of 3

HELP!!!!!!!!
I have to do a cake for saturday, but I am going out of town so I have to do the cake on Friday for saturday. What is the best way to do this without the cake going dry? I am doing the cake in buttercream. And can you decorate with buttercream with the cake being frozen?

2 replies
step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 11:08pm
post #2 of 3

Actually, the frosting preserves the cake so you can leave it out in the open...just cover it with a box.

tasteebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tasteebakes Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 11:37pm
post #3 of 3

You can leave it out.
I do most of my Friday orders on Saturday because it's just me and I have a glass front cooler that I put my buttercream iced cakes in. I put them in their box and then in the cooler.
I used to leave them out but then once my black ran and the cake didn't look as good on Saturday as when I did it on Friday, bummer. so now I chill them and tell my customers to take them out a couple of hours before the party or leave them out if party time is close to pick up time. I tell them, and I believe, that cake tastes best at room temp.
I frost frozen cakes in buttercream about 90% of the time. I usually bake on Thursdays, freeze and decorate on Friday. I bake and freeze even earlier if it's an excessively busy Saturday.
I never freeze buttercream though. Just cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%