What Car Do You Deliver Your Wedding Cakes In?

Business By andrea7 Updated 28 Oct 2007 , 10:12pm by vickster

andrea7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andrea7 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 10:37pm
post #1 of 43

My Jeep Grand Cherokee is going to die soon and I quickly need to find a new car to haul my family and cakes in. Mini vans are out!!!! I have looked at the Volkswagon Passat wagon. What car do you drive and why do you like it? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Andrea

42 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 11:35pm
post #2 of 43

I have a Volvo wagon (not the short one, the V70 with a regular-sized back area) and I love it. If you're going to go with one, though, buy a program car, because Volvo reconditions their used cars and puts the warranty back onto them, so you get a cheaper price but you still have a good warranty.

briannastreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briannastreats Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 11:50pm
post #3 of 43

I have an SUV, Nissan Xterra. I love it. Everything fits in the very back, and all I had to do was flip over the 'floor mat' and I have a non-skid surface.

Claricakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claricakes Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 11:58pm
post #4 of 43

Alot of people such as myself said they would never touch a "mini van" but.....reconsider they are the best thing next to a station wagaon. Everyone is confortable and everything fits nicely. Delivering CAKES are such a breeze! I got mine FULLY loaded DVD and wireless headphone thing for less than 12,000 used and still has warranty. Search online before wasting your time at the dealerships. : )
Good luck hope you find something you can be happy with!

TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 11:51pm
post #5 of 43

I have a 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser. When I test drove it, one of my primary criteria, aside from 4-wheel drive in bad weather, was cake transportation. It's been absolutely wonderful. I love it. (I don't have kids, though, so I don't know how it is with getting in/out of the back seat, especially with the way the rear passenger doors open.) Good luck, though, and have fun looking for your next vehicle!!!

angelcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakes5 Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 12:03am
post #6 of 43

I have a Chrysler Pacifica and I love it. The only reason I bought it was to deliver cakes!! icon_biggrin.gif Lots of room in the back and the seats fold down and the suspension on it is awesome. It rides so smooth and I have never had a problem with a cake no making it!

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 12:03am
post #7 of 43

I have a Murano, and the only problem is that the trunk area is tilted downward, and I have had a cake fall because I put it in the wrong spot and it slllliiiiiiiiiidddddddddd.

simplysweet72740 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysweet72740 Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 12:17am
post #8 of 43

I drive a Scion XB..you know the little box shapped car!!! Its does great "hauling" both!!! I fit 2 car seats plus one more kid. Then the cakes ride safely and snug in the back!!! Good Luck

buffim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buffim Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 12:17am
post #9 of 43

We have a 2006 Toyota Matrix, which we bought before I really got into cake decorating....it's perfect for carrying cakes as the hatch area is COMPLETELY FLAT. I think it's plastic covered when you get it but we put some all weather carpet down, and then I usually put some of the drawer liner stuff under the cake board when I am carrying a cake and they don't even move.

It's also great on gas, and both the back seats and the front passenger seat all fold down so that you can haul stuff up to 6 or 8 ft (I can never remember which...).

I live in BC and it's also classed as a station wagon (who knew!) so the insurance is less than a normal hatch back.

My friend has one with a baby in a car seat and she doesn't seem to have any problems getting her in and out.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 12:25am
post #10 of 43

Dodge Durango. Great Big Flat Surface for hauling anything.

jeffer01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeffer01 Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 12:29am
post #11 of 43

Okay, I am envious of all of you!!!!!!!!!!! I have no storage or hauling space in my car!!! I have a BMW Z3 roadster...meaning two seats and no backseat and practically no trunk!!! (I bought it before I started decorating cakes)

So when I have to transport more than a small cake I have to BEG my husband to borrow his car!!! icon_evil.gif Beg, plead, make deals.....

Thus, we have been searching for a wagon the past couple of months and hopefully someday I will have one!!!!......I am still envious! icon_lol.gif

Cakerer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakerer Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 12:26am
post #12 of 43

I have a GMC Acadia and I love it for both cakes and personal use! It seats 7 pplus room in the back for a cake! There's plenty of room in the floor of the 'back' seat also if needed and the 3rd row is removable. Also, the air vents are everywhere to keep the cake cool! Good luck - let us know what you choose!

Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 12:37am
post #13 of 43

I drive a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder. It has 3 row seating and the second row folds down as well. TONS of truck room in there. I love it!! It's my precious....

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 12:30am
post #14 of 43

2007 BMW 328xi all wheel drive sedan, and I LOVE IT. It was my Christmas present last year, special ordered right from Germany. icon_cool.gif

Fold both rear seats down and you have access for cold air to reach the trunk, but I realized early on that I can deliver fully stacked, boxed, 3- and 4-tier cakes right on the front seat, which will hold up to a 21" cube box with some towels under it to level it, wrap the seat belt around the box, and tah-dah, perfect secure, airconditioned, cushy-ride, delivery spot.

I'm sure minivans are fine, too, but they're not for me. Ever.

Cakerer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakerer Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 12:41am
post #15 of 43

OK homecook, now I'm jealous. You got a BMW for Christmas!? Must have been some darn good cookies you left out for Santa!

tcakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcakes65 Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 12:43am
post #16 of 43

I drive a Chevy Suburban and love it! I can haul all of my cakes and supplies. I have captain chairs in the second row rather than a bench seat. It allows for more space to transport all of my equipment and my two youngest children. The dual air keeps it extremely cool when transporting cakes...my kids freeze. icon_biggrin.gif I have six children so it's a must for personal use as well. I won't drive anything else. Well, at least until I too get a BMW. icon_wink.gif

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 12:44am
post #17 of 43

lol...yep, I was very very good last year... icon_lol.gif

Thought of the X5 because of my cakes, but I'm just a car person, and it's been working just fine.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 12:57am
post #18 of 43
Quote:
Quote:

Alot of people such as myself said they would never touch a "mini van" but...

I was one of those people. The only reason I bought mine was I need to move stuff and I didn't want my stuff to get wet so a truck was out. I figured I would sell it promptly because it was just too... soccer mom! Well, it is still sitting in my driveway four years later. And my Reatta sits in the garage. Don't tell anyone but I am secretly drooling over the new mini vans with fold down into the floor seats. Yeah, I still like driving sports cars, but on a day to day basis the mini van wins. Hey, at my age the reaction time isn't what it used to be; and while I wouldn't be upset if the good fairy dropped 350Z in my driveway, it does take a bit more time to lever myself out of one of those cuties than it used to.

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 1:05am
post #19 of 43

I deliver my cakes in my 2006 Hyundai Tucson ...I love it because it rides pretty smoothly and I can fold down all the seats and keep an eye on my cake (and the road) icon_lol.gif
I sit nice and high and it has a very efficient A/C and my vehicle was not expensive compared to many other types.
It has been very, very reliable...a slight gas pig like most of these types of SUVs are..

Good luck on your car decision!

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 1:03am
post #20 of 43

I don't have a SUV just a 2001 Chevy Impala, lots of trunk room it's worked great for my needs. I just put the non stick shelf liner under the boxes and have never had any problems.

DiannaSue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiannaSue Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 1:14am
post #21 of 43

For large cakes I use out Mercury Mountaineer fold down seats, tons of room. For smaller cakes I use my Mercury Mariner. Fold down seats but not as much room as the Mountaineer. But I love both of them.

diamondjacks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondjacks Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 1:31am
post #22 of 43

Pacifica Here LOVE IT!!! ROOMY PLUS it is almost like a closed in pick up truck when the seats lay down and it is hip level so NO stouping or climbing etc...

Have fun shopping and Test driving<< the best part!

Rachael1013 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachael1013 Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 1:32am
post #23 of 43

We have a Honda Element and love it!! It has polyeurothane flooring for easy cleanup and all the seats fold up against the walls (or are completely removeable). Sits low enough that you can climb in the back if you need and is has tons of room for tall cakes. Best part is, it drives like a Honda Accord, so if you prefer a car, that's nice. Only drawback is there are only 4 seats so it wouldn't work for a big family. It also gets about 25 mpg.

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 1:36am
post #24 of 43

...my 2005 Valentines Day gift....Jeep Liberty, seats 5 with plenty'o'room in the back, 4 wheel drive for the wintericon_wink.gif

fmcmulle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmcmulle Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 1:49am
post #25 of 43

I have a Toyota Rav4 and I love it. I will drive it until it falls apart. It is great for delivering cakes.

Tcarra-we had an Toyota FJ Crusier for about four months and it didn;t work for our family at all. My son is 6ft already at 14 so he basically couldn't ride in the back. So my husband traded in for a Ford Expedition and wow it has so much room. The seats let down with a push of a button so Now I have two delviery vehicles! icon_biggrin.gif Oh, and the trade in value was fantastic!

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 1:44am
post #26 of 43

...my 2005 Valentines Day gift....Jeep Liberty, seats 5 with plenty'o'room in the back, 4 wheel drive for the wintericon_wink.gif

MrsTCHJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsTCHJ Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 1:55am
post #27 of 43

I have a 4WD Ford Escape and I absolutely LOVE it!! The back seats do a 60/40 split so I have room in the back for a cake and still 1 seat so my hubby can sit back there and watch the cake. Plus it's bright yellow so everyone can see me coming!

andrea7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andrea7 Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 2:03am
post #28 of 43

Thanks everyone for your input. Wow everyone drives something different. I'm sitting here thinking about the practicality of each car and what I need. I sometimes have 5 stacked wedding cakes in my car at once. Also it needs to be fuel effecient. It's time to start looking and the most important thing, the price.
Andrea

southernbelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southernbelle Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 2:05am
post #29 of 43

Lexus RX300 SUV. Great smooth ride and the back seats fold down. I have a large black rubber mat in the back for non slipping.

I love it! I like the fact that it rides like a car and not bumpy like some SUV's can be.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 2:09am
post #30 of 43

I drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, we don't have children at home any more so it works really well for me.

jibbies

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%