3-D Pirate Ship ?

Decorating By lmilinich Updated 27 Oct 2007 , 1:21am by Erdica

lmilinich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lmilinich Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 10:23pm
post #1 of 10

I am trying to do a 3-d pirate ship and im thinking that i should just stack all the sheet cakes on top of one another for the height but then im wondering if there is an easier way to do this..... Please help me!!!! thanks

9 replies
Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 1:10am
post #2 of 10

I think it depends on how many people you need to feed.

I made a 3-D pirate cake out of 2 10" square cakes. I used 2" high pans and cake had really good height. It fed about 25 people. I had to throw it together in 2 hours. I had more time, I would have added more details. But I still think it came out cute. It's in my pictures.

GL!

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 1:18am
post #3 of 10

Thats how I did mine...stacked about 5 9x13's, then froze, then carved, then frosted and covered in fondanticon_wink.gif

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 12:20pm
post #4 of 10

I just did one and I used 2 9x13s, one 8" round cut in half and stacked (for the bow), a thin layer to had a little height to the bow and a couple small squares in the back. I made a template of the top and then angled the sides to get the shape I wanted.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 12:37pm
post #5 of 10

when I did mine I cut 3-4 layers from a sheet cake that I stacked. I used a template when I cut the layers to the general shape I wanted. I actually used rice krispies for the bow b/c I wanted a narrrow pointed shape....

Good luck!
Courtney

bpshirley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bpshirley Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 12:54pm
post #6 of 10

Hi, I formed disposable aluminum cake pans into a ship shape so I wouldn't waste cake batter. I stacked two layers of cake, straw supports & cardboard, then rice cripy treats for deck and bow...iced it all and covered it with chocolate clay planks. You're going to have lots of fun. I did!

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 12:57pm
post #7 of 10

I've done a 3D ship before...in my photos...out of (1) 12x18, cut into thirds, stacked and carved!

Chercaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chercaker Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 1:35pm
post #8 of 10

I'm not sure my post went through, but I would go with the square. I tried using rounds and mine collapsed. But it was fun and half of it was left.
LL

lmilinich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lmilinich Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 11:58pm
post #9 of 10

thanks everyone for their input it was very helpful.... i will post the pic as soon as i am done with it....

Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 1:21am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chercaker

I'm not sure my post went through, but I would go with the square. I tried using rounds and mine collapsed. But it was fun and half of it was left.

I had the same thing happen to me. I used 2 8" rounds. Cut them in half and set them on their sides in a half moon shape. With the curves towards the bottoms. I put straws and dowels to keep them together. I was ALMOST done frosting it when I looked up and it had a HUGE crack coming down. It was toast. I wouldn't suggest the circle thing at all.

Can't wait to see pictures.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%