Sizing For Cupcake Tower/stand

Decorating By bridgett413 Updated 26 Oct 2007 , 9:49am by bridgett413

bridgett413 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bridgett413 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 7:58pm
post #1 of 4

My grandmother's 80th birthday is coming up and instead of a large tiered cake I think we are going to go with cupcakes on a stand. I really like Doug's idea in a previous thread about using the square cake dummies and covering those. My question is this-how do you know what size dummies you'll need? We are looking at probably 80 cupcakes. I like the look of 3 tiers of cupcakes, but am very open for any suggestions as to sizing and tiers. Thanks so much for your help!

3 replies
WendyB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WendyB Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 8:19pm
post #2 of 4

Here is a link to Antonia's directions for her cupcake stand.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-22674.html

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 9:13pm
post #3 of 4

I don't think I can be more informational than Antonia's site (what a great link!), but I tried to do some math for you.....

Assuming a cupcake takes up 3 square inches of space (3x3 space). An 18" square dummy could hold 6 cupcakes by 6 cupcakes = 36 cupcakes. That's also assuming you use the entire surface instead of putting another dummy in the center, like Antonia's does.

So if you put a 12" dummy in the center of the 18", this dummy will take up the space for 16 cakes (4 rows by 4 columns of 3" each). So the 18" square holds 36-16=20; the 12" holds 16 = 36.

As you look at Antonia's creation, her cakes are taking up about 3" .... the 24" tier has 8 cupcakes along each side; the 12" has 4 cakes along each side.

So if you do the math assuming 3" of space, you should be able to figure out how many and what sizes of dummies you will need.

Let us know what you end up using! thumbs_up.gif

bridgett413 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bridgett413 Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 9:49am
post #4 of 4

Thank you both so much for your help! For some reason I didn't get an email saying I had replies and I checked this morning and found your responses. This is a huge help. As usual, you guys are the best!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%