Ack! Need Help Asap! Mountain Lion 3D Cake!!!

Decorating By mom2spunkynbug Updated 25 Oct 2007 , 9:27pm by Kavingate

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 6:57pm
post #1 of 13

I just got a call that someone needs a mountain lion cake for Sunday!

Does anyone know of a good book that they could refer me to? (Debbie Brown???) If I had directions or a good pic of one (I'm searching the galleries as well) - I'd be so grateful!

Thanks in advance!!!

12 replies
step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 7:13pm
post #2 of 13

Wow! that sounds like a tall order for such short notice! I hope you are charging an arm and a leg for it!
I will look around...I am no help right now. Sorry

mom2spunkynbug Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 7:08pm
post #3 of 13

Thanks for helping me out!

Yeah...I don't know if this lady is realizing what she's asking for! LOL!

I will also take any advice on pricing!! (It's for 25 people)

This is one of my first orders since I became a member of this referral business....so I really don't want to turn it away...but....I'm really nervous!!

step0nmi Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 7:18pm
post #4 of 13
step0nmi Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 7:24pm
post #5 of 13

http://cakesbyginahouston.com/_wsn/page8.html
This site has one lying down!

I would think if you can't do it in this short of time that I would tell them you can do like a lion face or even use the Wilton Lion pan...

I couldn't find any instructions! icon_sad.gif

Stephanie

step0nmi Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 7:28pm
post #6 of 13

You could take a couple of 10" round pans and carve them into a ball shape and then make that the head...you could make little fondant pieces of hair, let them dry, and stick that all around the face part! there's your mountain lion! LOL

Depending on what you are going to do I would be charging a lot! I would say $50 minimum! If it's going to be carved or 3D you don't want to loose your money there because it will be hard to carve! Tell her it takes X amount of hours to carve a cake correctly and the price! She might change her mind on what she wants for a cake!
Then I would still charge $50 even if you did the head of a lion.

noosie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noosie Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 7:35pm
post #7 of 13

I would use the instructions on here for the puppy cake. You can definitely tweak it with the right details to turn it into a lion. I used it to make the skunk cake in my gallery. I'll try to find the link for you.

noosie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noosie Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 7:41pm
post #8 of 13
mom2spunkynbug Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 7:45pm
post #9 of 13

Thanks guys!!

Guess what...she called back & when I told her the price, she said no! I told her $175.

She then asked what if she had a "regular" round cake with a flat lion on top....I told her my cakes start at $50, so I'd charge her $55 for that. She still said no!

Oh well. I'm not going to be killing myself all weekend for pennies! I told her I usually need 2 weeks notice & that all my ingredients are from scratch. Well, I know for sure that she's not going to get a 3D cake anywhere around here!

step0nmi Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 7:51pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2spunkynbug

Thanks guys!!

Guess what...she called back & when I told her the price, she said no! I told her $175.

She then asked what if she had a "regular" round cake with a flat lion on top....I told her my cakes start at $50, so I'd charge her $55 for that. She still said no!

Oh well. I'm not going to be killing myself all weekend for pennies! I told her I usually need 2 weeks notice & that all my ingredients are from scratch. Well, I know for sure that she's not going to get a 3D cake anywhere around here!

Oh wow! GOOD FOR YOU!!! Sounds like she wanted something for nothing! Your time is worth a lot and if you are doing from scratch I think those were pretty fair prices! I am impressed!

mom2spunkynbug Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 7:54pm
post #11 of 13

Thanks stepOnmi icon_smile.gif I told dh about it & we both got excited, lol. Of course he has seen me make every cake, so he started spittin' off prices right away, lol!

She kind of threw me for a loop when she said that's too much, what about a "regular" cake...

I will not go below $50 that's for sure! I did ask her if she went on my web site and she said no (she could've gotten a better idea - price wise - if she had looked on my site).

I'm actually a little relieved because 1) I didn't want to be killing myself over this, this weekend 2) I have 2 kids ages 5 & 9...they have a half day tomorrow and 3) we were planning to go to the Olive Garden (an hour away) on Saturday and to the pumpkin patch on Sunday!

But if she was willing to pay what I was asking, I was willing to stay up all night over the weekend to do it for her!

Anyway...thanks again! icon_smile.gif

step0nmi Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 8:14pm
post #12 of 13

Your Welcome! I just knew that if I had gotten a call TODAY for a cake on Sunday I would've just said ummm...no. but sometimes the money drives us to say YES! I wouldn't want anyone to be working their butt off! Plus, it's Halloween!!! You should be having fun with yoru kids!
Great to hear you are happy about your decision!

Have a good one!

Kavingate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kavingate Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 9:27pm
post #13 of 13

Congrats on standing by your price!!!

Just for future ideas, there's an AMAZING lady on Flickr who does 3D animal cakes- mostly dogs- that are mind-blowing in their engineering and artistry-
http://www.flickr.com/photos/debbiedoescakesnet/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%