Magic Line Vs Fat Daddio's...

Decorating By PennySue Updated 30 Oct 2007 , 4:16pm by Vreeke

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 6:36pm
post #1 of 15

I'm needing some more pans (they are like shoes, can a girl ever have enough???) The pans I own are ML and I do love them. I also so the FD's but noticed they were not quite as thick. Does anyone have them? What do you think of them. Just curious.
Thanks!

14 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 8:07pm
post #2 of 15

Recently this has been discussed a couple of times.

From my recollection both are of equal standards. I read where people had both and liked them both of them.

HTH

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 8:24pm
post #3 of 15

is there a website for these FDs...i've never heard of them. icon_confused.gif

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 9:27pm
post #4 of 15

I actually just bought a 4x3 round, but haven't tried it out yet. I noticed that a nearby cake shop just got some in & decided to try them out. I went for a sm. size so I could try it out before I invested anymore $. The guy behind the counter said that they are just as good as Magic Line pans (but he may have been trying to make a sale). It feels like a good pan & has really straight sides. I also have been replacing my Wilton pans for Magic Line, but if I like these, I'll probably start getting them so I don't have to pay for shipping.

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 9:33pm
post #5 of 15

I just bought the triangle pan set by Fat Daddio's, and haven't tried them yet (that's for next week, I hope, when things calm down) but I like the weight of them and they seem really nice.

I got mine from Global Sugar Art.

Deanna

am2pm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
am2pm Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 1:28am
post #6 of 15

My local cake supply shop has started to carry the Fat Daddio's. They said they tried them and really like them. They feel they are comparable to Magic Line. I was going to put some on my Christmas list and would love to hear from those that have them but haven't tried them yet how they work for you.
Peggy

suebeebaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suebeebaker Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 1:03am
post #7 of 15

I have both ML and Fat's cake pans. Both are excellent cake pans with straight sides and wonderful baking qualities. Fat's pans are dishwasher safe, (which I like), and both are a heavy duty aluminum. Fat's also offers square pans in odd sizes like 11, 13, and 15. The corners of Fat's square pans are not sodered, but have a radial corner. I find with the popularity of square wedding cakes, these sizes are very helpful in stacking four or more tiers. I still have my ML pans, but am also using Fat Daddio's. My pans really get a workout. I bake about 20-30 cakes per week! One more thing, if you get a chance purchase their cookie sheets. They carry two thicknesses. The heavier gauge cookie sheet is a dream! I won't use anything else now.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 4:29am
post #8 of 15

Oh goodness...can I say...I have both..and although I like them both...Fat Daddios doesn't give as nice corners as my ML pans icon_sad.gif . I first got the 7 x 11 pan for the people who wanted really small cakes but in a sheet...and found the corners disappointed me...they baked nicely but the corners just aren't the same icon_sad.gif

JMO icon_smile.gif

Christi

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 1:59pm
post #9 of 15

Are the Fat Daddio's pans as tall as the Magic Line? I like the Magic Line 2" pans because they are actually a little over 2" vs the Wilton and I can completely level off the "lip" part.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 2:08pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

Oh goodness...can I say...I have both..and although I like them both...Fat Daddios doesn't give as nice corners as my ML pans icon_sad.gif . I first got the 7 x 11 pan for the people who wanted really small cakes but in a sheet...and found the corners disappointed me...they baked nicely but the corners just aren't the same Christi

I know what you mean. Since I'm fairly new to cake decorating, I'd never used anything but Wilton pans. I wanted a nice 9x13 with sharp edges and figured ML would be great but the store had stopped carrying them. They had FD but those were so disappointing because the edges were rounded and definitely would not have worked for the purpose I needed it for so I sadly settled for a Wilton Performance pan because the edges were sharp and the sides straight.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 2:26pm
post #11 of 15

I buy mine from http://cooksdream.com

I have the square FD pans and they seem fine. I'm not sure if it was the pan or not, but when I used the FD pans I got darker sides on my cakes as if the pan got hotter -- but it maybe it was just because I am comparing a 12" square FD pan to a 6" round ML.

When I ordered my last FD pan from CooksDream, they called to tell me that they were backordered on the 2" pan but they would ship me the 3" pan at no extra cost if it was okay. GREAT customer service! (And fast shipping).

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 9:28pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

Oh goodness...can I say...I have both..and although I like them both...Fat Daddios doesn't give as nice corners as my ML pans icon_sad.gif . I first got the 7 x 11 pan for the people who wanted really small cakes but in a sheet...and found the corners disappointed me...they baked nicely but the corners just aren't the same icon_sad.gif

JMO icon_smile.gif

Christi

I agree! Corners are just slightly more rounded. thumbsdown.gif

suebeebaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suebeebaker Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 2:04pm
post #13 of 15

I don't seem to have a problem with the radial corners. It sure beats cleaning those welded corners. Also after using your pans over time the welding will start to give out. Yuk!
Sue

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 3:02pm
post #14 of 15

I really have no problems with cleaning my corners. I have a new toothbrush that I do that with .... the ML pans I have, some are old, the weld is still good. Maybe you got a bad pan or 2?
Don't get me wrong I like the way FD's bake but I really prefer my ML pans icon_smile.gif

Have a wonderful day icon_smile.gif

Christi

Vreeke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vreeke Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 4:16pm
post #15 of 15

Has anyone ever heard of Lloydspans? I need a 17" round cake pan and they seem to be the only one who makes these.
Thanks,
Lori V.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%