30+ Inches Of Fondant... Eep!

Decorating By Atomikjen Updated 26 Oct 2007 , 2:55pm by Atomikjen

Atomikjen Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 6:34pm
post #1 of 8

Hi all,

Hoping to get a little insight on this. I have a 10" cube to cover with fondant. Has anyone covered a huge cake w/o problems? I'm mostly concerned with the fondant ripping than anything else. I think I need a few extra hands for this too. Any thoughts/suggestions/prayers are appreciated =)

7 replies
tye Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 6:48pm
post #2 of 8

if possible try to make the fondant a bit thicker than normal.. then it stretches nicely on the cake with ripping.. also.. make sure you cake is frozen.. not solid but enough where you and move about the cake without worrying about it crumblin..

MikeRowesHunny Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 6:50pm
post #3 of 8

What is your design? The easiest way to do it is to cut 10in panels and then smooth the joins together.

2kiddos Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 6:44pm
post #4 of 8

The easiest way I've found to cover large cakes, is by investing in a big sheet of vinyl (thanks to other CC'ers recommendations! (Walmart has it in their fabric department. I got a 54x40 sheet for only $2.58!) I cut it down to about 40x40 to make it easier to handle...
I roll it a little thicker, and then pick up the entire vinyl sheet and flip it over the cake. Then, just peel it off, and start smoothing!
Good Luck!

tye Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 6:53pm
post #5 of 8

"cake without ripping"
system wouldnt let me edit

Atomikjen Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 7:09pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovibabe

What is your design? The easiest way to do it is to cut 10in panels and then smooth the joins together.

it's a cube that I'm making into a "movie award" theme cake, the top is going to be a walk of fame star with the bday girl's name and I made "film strips" to attach to the sides. Making pieces sounds so easy but makes me nervous at the same time... thanks for the tip

Atomikjen Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 7:16pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kiddos

The easiest way I've found to cover large cakes, is by investing in a big sheet of vinyl (thanks to other CC'ers recommendations! (Walmart has it in their fabric department. I got a 54x40 sheet for only $2.58!) I cut it down to about 40x40 to make it easier to handle...
I roll it a little thicker, and then pick up the entire vinyl sheet and flip it over the cake. Then, just peel it off, and start smoothing!
Good Luck!

That's a great idea! going to have to bribe my husband to help me out a bit =)

Atomikjen Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 2:55pm
post #8 of 8

I posted a pic of the final cake in my gallery! =)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%