Colouring Chocolate

Decorating By simplyelegant Updated 26 Oct 2007 , 1:07am by beachcakes

simplyelegant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplyelegant Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 5:30pm
post #1 of 5

Does anyone know if you can colour white chocolate melts with the paste colouring? The white ones are so much cheaper. Has anyone tried this?
Thanks,
Jen

4 replies
msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 5:34pm
post #2 of 5

Yes you can but never use the liquid color I have had no problem with the gels either as long as I was not trying to do dark.

BUT and it is a big BUT if you want a real deep color like red it will not work the chocolate will seize ( I think that is the word) so for Dark colors buy the wafers you can buy red wafers and make them darker red if needed or start with chocolate to make black.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 5:40pm
post #3 of 5

Americolor has a new line of food colors made specifically for chocolate. They work great! I stocked up on the colors at ICES, and now just buy the white CandyMelts.

simplyelegant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplyelegant Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 12:34am
post #4 of 5

thanks! I assume that i just wait until the chocolate has melted and then I add the colouring.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 1:07am
post #5 of 5

yes, you add coloring after melting. If you're melting in the microwave, do it in 30 second intervals or it could scorch. If the chocolate starts to seize after adding the paste color, mix some shortening back in and it will be fine!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%