Difference Between Earlenes And Wilton's Serving Charts?

Decorating By dtmc Updated 23 Apr 2009 , 11:21pm by Sweet_Guys

dtmc Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 4:59pm
post #1 of 24

Can anyone explain this? There is so much difference

For example....for a round pan
Earlenes 6 inch says it serves 8
and
Wiltons 6 inch says it serves 12

WHat am I missing????

23 replies
SugarBakers05 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 5:05pm
post #2 of 24

looks like Wilton suggests a "stingier" slice icon_biggrin.gif

tana Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 5:05pm
post #3 of 24

Heres a Bump for ya'...Never heard of Earlenes...IBut i want to know too... icon_lol.gif

Jenni2383 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 5:13pm
post #4 of 24

Wilton thinks everyone only needs a 1x1 1/2 in slice of cake. I like cake, BRING ON THE BIGGER PIECE!

LeckieAnne Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 5:06pm
post #5 of 24

It's difficult to actually cut the cake into Wilton's serving chart size, though possible, obviously -- and Earlene's is more reasonable -- and actually is a nice sized piece of cake. I alway's use Earlene's.

Joy2501 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 5:15pm
post #6 of 24

Where can I see Earlene's chart?

swingme83 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 5:16pm
post #7 of 24

but if you really look at the charts when you get into bigger sizes hers says more servings for certain ones. this confuses me. Yes i agree they are stingier slices but sometimes they arent....anyone?

ladyhawk1nlm Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 5:24pm
post #8 of 24

Here is the link to Earlene's chart..hope it helps ya...
http://www.earlenescakes.com/ckserchart.htm

thedessertdiva Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 5:18pm
post #9 of 24

Has anyone paid $10 for the full chart? Is it worth it? I too find Wiltons servings, itty bity...

indydebi Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 5:33pm
post #10 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenni2383

Wilton thinks everyone only needs a 1x1 1/2 in slice of cake. I like cake, BRING ON THE BIGGER PIECE!

The wilton chart is based on a 1x2x4 piece (2 layer). This is a standard size wedding cake piece ... about the size of a folded over peanut butter sandwich. A piece of wedding cake is not a meal ... it's a dessert.

I get the correct number of pieces of cake out of every cake that I cut by using the wilton chart and no one ever complains about how small it is. I actually get guests come up and ask for a smaller piece. Here is a pictorial on my website that shows you how to cut it: http://cateritsimple.com/_wsn/page19.html If you look at the pieces of cake on the plates, those are not "itty bitty" pieces.

I also use the Wilton chart to determine my pricing. If you and I are charging by the slice, then at $3/serving, I'm getting $12 more for the 6" round than anyone who goes by Earline's chart.

Now, I tell clients how many pieces they will get from each cake (when I am not going to be there to cut it). They can choose to cut it any size they want ... if they choose to cut it bigger, then they can plan accordingly and order more AND PAY FOR more cake. I am not taking the hit because they choose to eat like Jethro.

It's a dessert .... not a meal.

Vreeke Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 5:34pm
post #11 of 24

Earlene's chart is much more accurate.
Keep in mind when using any chart though that it really depends on what the cake is being used for; a party or a wedding and also who is cutting it.
At a wedding the standard size slice is a 1" x 2" x (height) and that is what most caters will use. At a party, depending on who is slicing the cake, slices are generally larger; 2" x 2" or 1" x 3".
You never want your client to run out of cake though, so I would estimate accordingly.
Happy Baking,
Lori V.
Pastries By Vreeke

dtmc Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 5:47pm
post #12 of 24

http://www.earlenescakes.com/ckserchart.htm

here is Earlenes cake chart.

elvis Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 5:54pm
post #13 of 24

I always go back and forth too but I like Earlene's the best. You may want to double check me but I figured it out once and I think Earlene's were based closer to a 1.25" x2" x height slice.

By the way, Vreeke- your wedding cakes are beautiful!

swingme83 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 5:47pm
post #14 of 24

indydebi when you cut it in strips like that do you still get the same amount of servings or do you get slightly more/less?

indydebi Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 5:59pm
post #15 of 24

I can actually get about 10% more .... on a 10" cake, the chart says 38 ... I get 41-42.... on a 12" cake, the chart says 56.... I get 60-62.

Because this question has come up before, I've been doing "data research" at the last few weddings to see what I've been yielding.

Vreeke Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 6:25pm
post #16 of 24

Thankyou Elvis!
Lori V.

jer81 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 5:25pm
post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingme83

but if you really look at the charts when you get into bigger sizes hers says more servings for certain ones. this confuses me. Yes i agree they are stingier slices but sometimes they arent....anyone?

I know this is an older post, but this is the part that is confusing me in deciding which chart to use. I agree Wilton's is small, but it seems like when you get into the larger sizes, Earlene's is smaller than Wiltons. icon_confused.gif So confusing!
Did anyone ever determine if her's is based off of 2" or 4" high? I get different answers...

foxymomma521 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 5:53pm
post #18 of 24

Earlene's is based on 4" high. If I remember correctly she describes on her site just how she measured the cakes for servings....

foxymomma521 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 5:55pm
post #19 of 24

"I baked a square grooms cake using Wilton's figures for the servings. When I was icing that cake I realized that they were going to be short of servings. I measured and sure enough they needed about 6 more servings. I baked a smaller cake and stacked the two cakes to be sure she had enough. Then I began wondering about the other pan servings. I used a washable pen and marked off the bottom of several pans and found that I could not get the servings from the cakes that the Wilton's chart figures showed. This chart was made as a result of that. I felt I was not being honest with my customers in the servings they were receiving. I didn't measure every single pan. I measured some of them and then estimated on the others"
From Earlene's site-

__Jamie__ Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 6:16pm
post #20 of 24

I would never ever ever go by Earlene's...ever! When I cut and serve at home according to Wilton's wedding chart, for my birthday cakes, those pieces are big enough! Like Indy said...you're eating food, drinking, snacking....you don't need to serve a huge honking pig beast of a slice of cake! Maybe it's just me, and trust me, I can put away a piece of cake like no body's business, and Wilton is right on. Plus, I'm sure Indy mentioned this as well....most venues go by Wilton standards anyways.

__Jamie__ Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 6:17pm
post #21 of 24

One more thing....got to Debi's (Indydeb) website. Look at the slicing guide and look at how huge those pieces of cake are! No one is getting jipped!

Iva1976 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 7:25pm
post #22 of 24

Does anyone use the wilton party chart for party cakes and the wedding chart for wedding cakes? Or just one chart no matter what the occasion is?

indydebi Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 8:54pm
post #23 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iva1976

Does anyone use the wilton party chart for party cakes and the wedding chart for wedding cakes? Or just one chart no matter what the occasion is?

I use one chart ... the wedding chart ... to determine pricing. I cannot say that enough. I use it TO DETERMINE PRICING. They are welcome to cut a 10" cake in half and serve it to just two people if they want. But they are paying for the number of servings the 10" round cake is designed to serve.

Now, by COINCIDENCE..... the number I use to determine pricing just HAPPENS to also be the number of servings I can get from the cake.

Customer is told: "10 round serves 25-35, depending on how you cut it. The price is $X". ("X" is determined by taking 38 servings times my per serving rate.)

Sweet_Guys Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 11:21pm
post #24 of 24

I agree with Indy...It is the dessert, not the meal.

After reviewing the charts and thinking and rethinking and thinking about it all over again, I took the spreadsheet that was on here and adapted it for our use. I decided that party cakes (for birthdays and such) would be 2" high. I then added the 3" high into the spreadsheet. When I go to calculate quotes, I use one 2" high cake for a party. But, if it's for a wedding, I plug in two 2" high cakes for a single tier.

I was arguing this point to a friend the other night. If I were to make cake for my other half's birthday, I wouldn't make a 4" high cake. I would make a 2" or a 3" high cake. That's all we would need because we're serving a smaller group of people.

If anyone has questions about this, please feel free to PM me.

Paul

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%