What Do You Think Of My "broken Window" Prototype?

Baking By kathik Updated 26 Oct 2007 , 9:13pm by Erdica

kathik Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 4:26pm
post #1 of 24

As you may remember I have been trying to design a cookie for a boy's Bar Mitzvah party. He has a reputation for breaking windows when he plays baseball. Anyway, I tried a number of different things and so far this is the version I like best. Please excuse the pathetic icing icon_redface.gif , I was using the wilton fondant writers for the shutters (since I had them on hand). For the real cookies I'll be using Antonia's RI.

Please let me know what you think and how I can improve it. My daughter already said she thinks the ball needs to be a little smaller, so let me know if you agree with her.

23 replies
krazykat_14 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 4:23pm
post #2 of 24

Well, I think it's just super cute! I think the baseball is fine the size it is, as a mom of a baseball boy, I know that is EXACTLY how it looks when a baseball goes through a window! Maybe consider making it look like the flower vase is falling over? I think that would be kind of funny and cute...

jessieg Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 4:28pm
post #3 of 24

Just wanted to say that I like them the way that they are. I think they are super neat and that's a very creative idea.

paolacaracas Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 4:30pm
post #4 of 24

HI Kathi, I would simplify the desing, a square cookie with a big ball and the cracks arround, is more modern looking than the more literal version, and it will take you less time to make.

cinderspritzer Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 4:39pm
post #5 of 24

i think it's fantastic. and as i remember, you were trying to avoid the cookie looking ''sluttered'' which you've done very well.

bakincakin Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 4:31pm
post #6 of 24

Those are adorable. Keep them the way they are thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

sweetideas Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 4:34pm
post #7 of 24

Looks great~!

kansaslaura Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 4:36pm
post #8 of 24

I think your design is awesome! I would not make the ball smaller, detailing it would be a nightmare, I do agree with paolacaracas that you could simplify and still keep the theme-- make your decision based on time involved. He'd be thrilled with whatever you choose.

all4cake Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 5:20pm
post #9 of 24

I think they look fantastic!

megamere Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 5:53pm
post #10 of 24

what a lot of work you put into that!! AWESOME!

Lenette Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 5:59pm
post #11 of 24

You did an AWESOME job on that! The detail is wonderful. I just love it! thumbs_up.gif

elvis Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 6:21pm
post #12 of 24

So funny, I didn't read your post closely and thought I was looking at a sheet cake. Either way, great design!

I don't think that the ball looks too big. Good luck!

cinderspritzer Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 6:30pm
post #13 of 24

i meant ''shattered''... not sluttered. lol

cwcopeland Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 6:43pm
post #14 of 24

I think it is so cute. I wouldn't change a thing. thumbs_up.gif

kathik Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 6:48pm
post #15 of 24

Thanks, everyone.

This photo is just cropped from the original photo, but obviously can be made square as Paola suggested. What do you think of this? Would it be too plain? If I did this version I think I would make the "pane" a bluish color, instead of gray. This would definitely be simpler. So, which do you like better?

melvin01 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 6:53pm
post #16 of 24

I like the design, looks like a lot of work.

I'd try something more basic if you want, decide on which one you like best and what you want to do.

Something else that I thought of, to incorporate some of the suggestions, make the table a little larger with the baseball on the table and the vase/flower knocked over with the hole/cracks in the window where it came in.

Either way, the cookie is adorable and I'm sure they will love whatever you go with!

kathik Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 7:41pm
post #17 of 24

Okay, here is one last one. It is simpler than number 1, but has more color than number 2.

What do you think?

mmkwynne Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 7:46pm
post #18 of 24

I love idea #2 - just the window, but if you wanted more color just outline the glass with green or red or blue - for the window pane. I think it would definately be easier than the ideas with the flowers in a vase and people will know exactly what it is!! Good luck!

krazykat_14 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 7:50pm
post #19 of 24

Ok, #2 is a little boring but would be easier, I still love #1, but I think #3 is super cute, too... I also think a blue-ish for the window pane would be better.

Tscookies Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 1:17am
post #20 of 24

How big is the cookie? I think your first picture turned out really great! A complicated design, yet the way you laid out it out, it doesn't look cluttered at all. Nice job on the uniqueness and creativity of the design. I know you said to excuse the icing part ... that happens to me all the time ... my first one is always a rough draft. I often do a cookie one, two, three times before the design, color choices, and tips all flow.

kathik Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 3:03am
post #21 of 24

Okay below are the first cookie and the third cookie side by side as actual cookies.

The first cookie is 3.5" x 4.5". It was designed to look like the family's front window, thus the green shutters, etc. The cookie with the vase knocked over is 3" x 3.5", but could be made square (I used some extra uniced cookies and cut it down to size. I am still trying to decide if I should pour the glaze over the table, vase and ball, so you have the "behind the window" effect, but I'm afraid it will make them hard to see. icon_confused.gif

I'm meeting with the Mom tomorrow to discuss these and some other items, so I hope to bring these and get some feedback. Initially she talked about 65 of these as favors for a family dinner the night before the Bar Mitzvah. I was thinking of charging $5.00 each, although maybe only $4.00 each for the ones w/o the shutters. Does that seem fair to you?

kathik Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 8:06pm
post #22 of 24

Any more thoughts on which one you like??

Tscookies Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 8:56pm
post #23 of 24

hmm ... yeah, I still like the first one better than the second.

Erdica Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 9:13pm
post #24 of 24

I can't decide.

I love the detail work on the first one. But at the same time, I know a lot of people who wouldn't eat it because it's "too cute". I love the shutters and think you get the idea.

The second one, if I didn't know the details, it might take a little longer to understand the reasoning. But the second one I couldn't see people having issues with it being to cute to eat.

Does that make sense?

My vote: #1. I think the idea and detail work are very cute! And I'd be glad to wolf down any that don't make it to packaging. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%