Royal Icing

Decorating By bashini Updated 26 Oct 2007 , 8:31am by bashini

bashini Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 4:12pm
post #1 of 7

Hi everybody, well I haven't tried royal icing and I'm afraid to make it. I just want to make a small batch of icing and see how it comes. So I found a recipe on cc recipes. But my question is how can I store the left over icing or should I throw it away? Please Help!

6 replies
nikki1201 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 5:02pm
post #2 of 7

I make Antonia74's Royal Icing (it's wonderful!) and i always make a lot at a time.... What ever i don't use, i put in a bowl with a lid (i have the kitchen-aid prep bowl set, but i'm sure any tupperware container tht seals well would be fine) and i just leave it on the counter or in the pantry. Never refrigerated it. I will only store the original white icing though. i tried to keep some leftovers that were already tinted and thinned for flooding my cookies and it seperated on me. Maybe would have been okay if i just mixed it up more but it was in the little plastic squeeze bottles already.... so i just made a new batch. when i use it again, i just mix it up for a few seconds with my hand mixer, take out what i need for different colors, and close the bowl back up until next time.

bashini Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 5:30pm
post #3 of 7

Oh Nikki, Thank you so much for those tips. I am definetly make royal icing this time. I have so many cake decorating books. So I can make those little runouts and things like that and practis writing as well. Can I make these little things in advance and for how long can I keep them?

Daisys_Cakes Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 7:03pm
post #4 of 7

RI can be refrigerated for two weeks but then it needs to be thrown away. Once you have made the RI into what ever you are making it will virtually last forever (I have used decorations that are a year old and they tasted fine) just keep it in air tight container and keep away from bright light so it won't fade.

HTH
Deborah

kakeladi Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 9:53pm
post #5 of 7

Have you considered cutting the recipe down? Just use 1/2 or even 1/4 of the ingredients. I do this all the time.
I never have much luck w/saving royalicon_sad.gif
And..it's best NOT to store it in plastic unless it is new. ALL pastic retains grease no matter how good a dishwasher you have/are; plus it breaths, thus is NOT airtight.

Since I learned how to turn RI into fondant by adding Tylose I don't cut my recipe any more - just turn it into fondanticon_smile.gif

dandelion56602 Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 3:14am
post #6 of 7

Make sure your utensils are free of grease before making it. I do store it in rubbermaid/tupperware containers, but place a piece of saran wrap on top before putting on the lid. I've always had good luck storing it & also storing it once colored. It will begin to separate after a couple of weeks.

I use the Wilton recipe but add almond flavor to it & it tastes fine. I would suggest a flavoring, whatever it may be unless you like the taste of conf. sugar.

bashini Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 8:31am
post #7 of 7

Oh thanks everybody for your advices. The recipe I'm going to do is tayakaleb's one on the cc recipes. In that the quantity is quite small. So I thought it is ideal for me. And kakeladi, I didn't know that you can turn RI to fondant. How much of Tylose pouder do you use? Is there any difference in the taste? That is a very good idea.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%