Has This Wal-Mart Cake Already Been Posted On Cc?

Decorating By justfrosting Updated 25 Mar 2008 , 9:51pm by peacockplace

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 4:07pm
post #1 of 27

http://www.theginblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/walmart_cake1.jpg

It was talked about on our local radio station this morning...

26 replies
mommyandlovinit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyandlovinit Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 4:13pm
post #2 of 27

yes, it was posted yesterday and it is just to funny!!!

oneprimalscream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oneprimalscream Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 4:05pm
post #3 of 27

Oh man...they copied down word-for-word the instructions, and then wrote it on the cake, as if that is what the customer wanted? How sad!
It took me a moment to 'get it'. Haha...

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 4:16pm
post #4 of 27

Oh My. I missed it yesterday, thanks for the giggle.

SCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SCS Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 4:16pm
post #5 of 27

It's a shame they couldn't spell 'underneath' properly!!!!!!

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 4:17pm
post #6 of 27

It's pretty sad that they didn't know how to spell "underneath" as well.

luv2cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cake Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 4:14pm
post #7 of 27

OH NO!!! That's almost sad...who have they got working there??

Also, notice the giant crack in the icing?

It's a shame someone paid for that cake....hoepfully they didn't have to.

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 4:24pm
post #8 of 27

Ya know what I'm thinkin???
That English IS NOT that persons first language.
As an aside, let's not start on Walmart decorators as a whole. PLZ!!!!!!!!!!!
Ya know, the whole "crack in the icing thing" that could very well be from the person who picked up the cake or the cashier. Neither of them knowing how to pick up a full sheet cake (which is what size that one is. 18"x24") No one's said anything about her decent handwriting nor that her icing (other than the crack) is smooth and flat (hard to do I tell ya on such a huge surface without the aid of viva or parchment or melvira's methods). Someone did mention her roses. Those are wonderful.
So besides the whole crack thingee (most likely NOT the decorators fault) and the language barrier (I still firmly believe that english is NOT that persons first language) There are a lot of NICE things to say about that cake.
If that was a c.c'er we'd all be comforting her on what a bad day she's had and that we'd all give her hugs n such because of the horrible mistake and tell her it happens all the time.....BUT because it's a "Walmart" cake we all feel the need to denigrate this person to the dregs of society and relegate her to the "lowest of the low" and they make one silly mistake (who here hasn't) and she's now fodder for our insecurities.
NUF SAID.
Sorry, but the ol' Walmart Decorator thing is a sore subject with me.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 4:24pm
post #9 of 27

I am on my lunch break at work and saw this... OMG icon_eek.gif

Trip to Walmart for party supplies....$18.00
Sheet cake......$25.00
Getting exactly what you paid for.... PRICELESS!!!!

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 4:35pm
post #10 of 27

Don't know whether to laugh icon_lol.gif hide my eyes in ebarrassment for the poor decorator icon_redface.gif or cry icon_cry.gif

S.

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 4:29pm
post #11 of 27

On the other hand, those roses are PERFECT!! I would love to make BC roses like these!!

tobycat Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 6:15pm
post #12 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaptlps

Ya know what I'm thinkin???
That English IS NOT that persons first language.
As an aside, let's not start on Walmart decorators as a whole. PLZ!!!!!!!!!!!
Ya know, the whole "crack in the icing thing" that could very well be from the person who picked up the cake or the cashier. Neither of them knowing how to pick up a full sheet cake (which is what size that one is. 18"x24") No one's said anything about her decent handwriting nor that her icing (other than the crack) is smooth and flat (hard to do I tell ya on such a huge surface without the aid of viva or parchment or melvira's methods). Someone did mention her roses. Those are wonderful.
So besides the whole crack thingee (most likely NOT the decorators fault) and the language barrier (I still firmly believe that english is NOT that persons first language) There are a lot of NICE things to say about that cake.
If that was a c.c'er we'd all be comforting her on what a bad day she's had and that we'd all give her hugs n such because of the horrible mistake and tell her it happens all the time.....BUT because it's a "Walmart" cake we all feel the need to denigrate this person to the dregs of society and relegate her to the "lowest of the low" and they make one silly mistake (who here hasn't) and she's now fodder for our insecurities.
NUF SAID.
Sorry, but the ol' Walmart Decorator thing is a sore subject with me.

Whoa there -- sorry to step on any toes, but you have to admit that it is pretty funny! I, too, thought about the whole English language thing, but even given that it's still FUNNY! Not in a mean way -- just in a giggly way. At least that's how it is for me. I don't think there's anyone here who doesn't understand a mistake and wouldn't comfort that poor decorator, but it is a priceless moment that should be giggled over. I know if I did that -- I'd be brought to tears for years over that one. It's only cake -- it's not a wedding cake at that. It's not the end of the world. We need some laughs these days. I took this thread in that kind of spirit -- not in a mean-spirited way. I don't have an insecurity that made me look at the cake and giggle. I don't think terribly of WalMart (I actually shop there!) and I don't have any bad thoughts about this decorator.

I guess what I'm saying is that maybe there are times when posts don't show the tone for everyone. And, please don't say that we all denigrated her - I didn't. Sometimes, I think people take things so seriously that there's no room to laugh at our mistakes.

S.

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 6:23pm
post #13 of 27

Well this decorator was paid to make this cake.. so she was just doing her job. Probably she would have gotten in trouble if she corrected the wrongly spelled words. Second language or not, they (customer) should at least double check what they wrote.. common sense would tell them..that's embarassing to the person that ordered the cake.. let's all hope that the receiver also could not spell right.. but we don't know that..how sad.. icon_sad.gif ( icon_smile.gif )but I would put this in the "funny" category..

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 6:39pm
post #14 of 27

sanoma,
I wasn't saying that the poor decorator didn't have a "DOH" moment and yeah it is funny. But, I do have to say that for the most part, (I've read WAY WAY too many posts on here where it's the norm) that the attitude towards large grocery chain store decorators, Walmart specifically, are looked down upon.
Now just admit it. icon_redface.gificon_biggrin.gif Ya'll go there sometimes to look in the cake case to see how much better you could do than those particular cakes. icon_wink.gif I know I do. icon_redface.gif And sometimes I am pleasantly surprised by what I find.
So, don't get me wrong, it was a stupid mistake, by THIS particular decorator. icon_surprised.gif
But you do have to admit though that "walmart" decorators get a bad rap in general. THAT's what I have a problem with.

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 7:14pm
post #15 of 27

All I'm going to say is...

We could all have frosting crack on us, we could all spell a word wrong when it's late or we are rushed and never notice it, I have. (and many of us have even if we won't admit it outloud)

That crack could have happened when they put the cake on the table to take that pic.

Anyone who wants to laugh at errors just remember cake karma is very very ugly. May your next cake be full of cracks and spelling errors you don't notice as it goes out the door only to be passed around on the internet and laughed at by millions of people.

I can't help but wonder if this cake was created for exactly this purpose... to start an urban legend.

Every bakery I've been in or had friends work at the policy has always been "if the message looks odd call the purchaser and verify it.". If that order fell into my lap to write out I'd definately point it out to my manager and say "we better call on this."

As for my local markets... I've always been pleasantly surprised at their final products. My son blabs about my decorating so when he's with me I can't shop & compare or look at techniques because I'm narked out by him.

Due to his big mouth one market actually asked me for help with something they were stuck on and asked if I had a food handler card on me and when I pulled it out to show them they brought the cake over and showed me the problem they were having and I walked them through how to fix it. icon_lol.gif

These markets are not bad, nor are their bakeries out to get us but many times I think home decorators are out to get the bakeries and talk them down every chance they get.

I've noticed most of the poorly decorated cakes come from beginner decorators there. Remember gals all of us sucked at this for the most part when we started. Everyone needs to start somewhere and supermarket bakeries are were many get that big break and get our start.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 7:32pm
post #16 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynGwen

I can't help but wonder if this cake was created for exactly this purpose... to start an urban legend.

I have to admit, I wondered that myself!

luv2cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cake Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 7:30pm
post #17 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceshell

Quote:

I have to admit, I wondered that myself!

I bet it was.

Look at us getting our panties in a twist over something like this. I bet someone is enjoying a good laugh at all this right now. icon_smile.gif

tobycat Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 8:13pm
post #18 of 27
Quote:

All I'm going to say is...

We could all have frosting crack on us, we could all spell a word wrong when it's late or we are rushed and never notice it, I have. (and many of us have even if we won't admit it outloud)

That crack could have happened when they put the cake on the table to take that pic.

Anyone who wants to laugh at errors just remember cake karma is very very ugly. May your next cake be full of cracks and spelling errors you don't notice as it goes out the door only to be passed around on the internet and laughed at by millions of people.

Okay, cake karma??? I HOPE this was said with a giggle in your tone (but with no smiley face or winking face afterwards it is hard to know). All cakes have errors on them - they're just coverd up somehow. Cracks happen. Words can be spelled wrong. But, if we can't laugh at our errors, then we're in trouble. And, if you're getting paid to make a cake, and you make a flub like this, then it is pretty embarrassing. That's okay -- let everyone laugh and laugh with them. Learn from mistakes. Move on. Nobody got fired. Nobody's picture was put up with a big arrow saying -- CAKE ERROR QUEEN! (Actually, maybe it WAS a man -- he would do something like that -- kidding, kidding okay!) Nobody is hurt by this, especially since there's no name attached to it.

If it's real, it's a dumb mistake. If it's not, the joke's on us, and we can laugh at ourselves for falling for it. No harm, no foul.

Oh what interesting paths these threads can take...........meandering here down the path..........................here I go...................> icon_biggrin.gif

S.

janicecold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janicecold Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 9:36pm
post #19 of 27

That is to funny!!
I run preschool programs part time and a part of the program there is a reading portion, well I had no time to make a cake so I bought one. I asked the lady to put on it "Goodbye Friends!" When I got it back it said "Goodby Freinds!!" Well, needles to say it quite the joke since my program is a literacy program. We all got a good laugh out of it. In the ladies defence, she was from another country with a thick accent!!

newlywedws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newlywedws Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 10:04pm
post #20 of 27

I'm guessing either the decorator took the instructions quite literally or
perhaps the customer was rude, and the decorator just returned the attitude icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif Whatever...it's worth a giggle icon_lol.gif

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 10:10pm
post #21 of 27

One time I piped : HAPPY BIRTHAY instead of HAPPY BIRTHDAY...

It was an honest mistake...

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 12:01am
post #22 of 27

There are two threads about this already. As I stated in another thread. This cake picture has been circulating the internet for a year. The whole story has the earmarkings of an "on purpose" joke, because it happened to someone in Georgia and someone is Missouri. Get it.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-562478-.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-562405-.html

Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 12:40am
post #23 of 27

I think it's funny!!

It's really nice to know that every makes mistakes. I guess people figure that every cake decorator is perfect. But it's nice to know that we are all human. Even Duff makes mistakes. That's just life. But I think you should be able to laugh at them and learn from them.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 1:29am
post #24 of 27

Oh yeah, I didn't even think to debunk it when I first saw it...check out some more info on my favorite internet myths site snopes.com:
http://www.snopes.com/food/prepare/caketalk.asp

Melan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melan Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 2:35am
post #25 of 27

icon_lol.gif Joke or not I think it's so funny b/c down here in GA people do talk like that. So, I read it and imagined someone actually saying it that way.

That was a great laugh -and much needed tonight might add! icon_lol.gif

newlywedws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newlywedws Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 4:32am
post #26 of 27

OMG...I was just watching the Jay Leno "Tonight show" (25 March) and this cake was on there as part of his headlines!!!! For those in the Pacific Time Zone, you'll be able to see it on TV icon_lol.gif Lucky that this post didn't disappear when the site crashed thumbs_up.gif

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 9:51pm
post #27 of 27

I've seen this for several years. I gotta say that I think it it totally FAKE, an internet hoax. On the flip side... the decorator had great piping skills!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%