Making Firgures Out Of Fondant....

Decorating By cshelz Updated 26 Oct 2007 , 2:29pm by cshelz

cshelz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cshelz Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:43pm
post #1 of 6

How long do you leave your figures out in the open air for? I don't want to get the yucky skin on them.

5 replies
MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:51pm
post #2 of 6

I'm not sure what you mean by "yucky skin".

I make my figures out of MMF and they never change in appearance. If they have been refrigerated on the cake, the condensation dries just fine without any affect on the cake or figures.

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:44pm
post #3 of 6

Not sure when you mean in the process. During the process, cover whatever you're not working with if you want to be able to play with it more.

When finished with the whole figure, I put on paper towel and cover with paper towel in a shoebox until I'm ready to use.

Hope this helps.

S.

roseygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roseygirl Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 12:04am
post #4 of 6

I found that once the figure/flower/whatever was complete, it is best to just let it sit for at least 24hrs. You can set it on some wax paper in a box as mentioned or once it has completely dried, place it in a tupperware. I recently did a large cake with tons of flowers, butterflies etc.,. and I started making them two weeks in advance without issue. The "film" I think you are referring to starts within a few mins if you're still working with the fondant so anything not completed or being immediately worked with should be plastic wraped.

roseygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roseygirl Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 12:12am
post #5 of 6

I found that once the figure/flower/whatever was complete, it is best to just let it sit for at least 24hrs. You can set it on some wax paper in a box as mentioned or once it has completely dried, place it in a tupperware. I recently did a large cake with tons of flowers, butterflies etc.,. and I started making them two weeks in advance without issue. The "film" I think you are referring to starts within a few mins if you're still working with the fondant so anything not completed or being immediately worked with should be plastic wraped.

cshelz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cshelz Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 2:29pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks so much! I made a ghost and pumpkins for my cake. I left them out for 2 days to fry. They are ok still. I am not making my cake unitl this weekend. I did put them into a ziplock today and they seem great. Thanks again icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%