First Time Cookies!!! Ahhh!!!

Baking By alicialee Updated 29 Oct 2007 , 1:40pm by ANicole

alicialee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicialee Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:29pm
post #1 of 16

ive never professionally made cookies before, but my neighbor is having a Fall themed party, and she wants leaf cookies, i have cookie cutters, but i have no idea how to make these cookies. whats the best sugar cookie recipe for a soft cake like cookie? im afraid this is going to be a disaster, everytime i make cookies, they are always hard, and almost burnt on the bottom, and i always take them out a few minutes ahead of time to finish baking on the sheet!!!!! help me please!!! is there a secret???? also i need a recipe for icing, is it just like buttercream?? haha im in need of some seriouse help!!!! ahhh!!! icon_surprised.gif

15 replies
megamere Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megamere Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:27pm
post #2 of 16

Here are the tricks-

Use the No fail sugar cookie recipe (NFSC) and Antonia74's royal icing. This icing does not set as hard as regular-break-your-teeth-icing.

Roll your cookies 1/4-1/2 inch thick depending on what you prefer. The cookies roll and bake the best if they have sat in the fridge for a few hours or in the freezer for about 1 hour.

Bake until they are just starting to turn golden brown at the edges. About 14 minutes for a small 1/2 cookie. Let them cool for about a half hour before you ice them.

You can use vanilla, but I prefer almond extract in my cookies.

I have leaf cookies in my album if you need a pic.

HTH, PM me if you have any specific questions!

GOOD LUCK

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 3:18pm
post #3 of 16

step-by-step "how-to" article with photos.....

http://www.cakecentral.com/article54-How-To-Bake--Decorate-Cookies.html

icon_smile.gif

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 6:18pm
post #4 of 16

Is this thread out of order?

I'm pretty new to cookies too and have a couple of questions.

Megamere, do you like the NFSC recipe better than Penny's cookies? That's the only recipe I've used and thought it was pretty good, but then again I'm not that experienced. I'm really glad you explained about Antonia's recipe being a soft icing. That's exactly what I'm looking for. I've heard other people talk about it on other threads but didn't explain the texture.

Can the NFSC recipe be used to do cookie bouquets? The ones you put a stick on?

My sister is thinking about doing cookies for party favors at her wedding and I told her, "Oh, don't order any cookies. I can totally do them." What was I thinking?!?! icon_cry.gif

I'm going to bake some this weekend to see if I'm up to the job. Besides, with the cold weather coming in (i live in tx), it's perfect weather to bake cookies.

Thanks Ya'll for any help you can give.

Lalana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lalana Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 6:17pm
post #5 of 16

I had never tried the royal icing cookies until I read and followed Antonia's how to article. They turned out great and I am now in LOVE with making them. They aren't hard, but they are time consuming. I have my own cookie recipe that I use, sorry don't want to share it, but so many people have talked about how great the no fails are that I would recommend those. It's fun and you can do it!!

krismorales Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krismorales Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 6:29pm
post #6 of 16

Toba's Glace is good also. I've never used royal icing, so I can't compare, but the glace is nice because it doesn't set up rock hard, but does set up

megamere Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 7:01pm
post #7 of 16

Yes, they are perfect for cookies on sticks and bouquets. They are all I use! Antonias icing sets up hard enough to stack and so they dont smudge, but they are not rock hard! It has a good taste too it as well.

penguinprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
penguinprincess Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 9:03pm
post #8 of 16

how thick do you roll your dough for cookie bouquets? and do you ccok them a bit longer so they are firmer?

cwcopeland Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 1:27am
post #9 of 16

Thanks for all the great info. I can't wait to try them.

megamere Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 5:10pm
post #10 of 16

penguin- I always make my cookies a half inch thick. I do bake them longer when I know they will be on sticks. If they are too soft, the stick will pull through the cookie and pop out in the back. Make sense?

penguinprincess Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 8:06pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by megamere

penguin- I always make my cookies a half inch thick. I do bake them longer when I know they will be on sticks. If they are too soft, the stick will pull through the cookie and pop out in the back. Make sense?

Yes it does-- thank you! I made my first cookie bouquet earlier this month. I used a very yummy cream cheese cookie recipe. My hubby said that they may have boon too soft (but they tasted soo darn good!) anyway, after readying what you wrote-- i deffinately made them too thin! How deep do you insert the stick-- i put the stick on the back thinking that the cookie would surround the stick. I also added a bit of dough behind the stick thinking it would meld into the cookie-- it didn't. icon_sad.gif

cwcopeland Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 11:27pm
post #12 of 16

I just finished the NFSC recipe and Toba's Glace (or glaze). They turned out really yummy but not so pretty. Now I'm going to do Penny's recipe with Antonia's icing.

How do you get the leaf cookies to look "real"? Ya'll's cookies are so pretty. I had a friend's 4 year old helping me but I kept her away from a few cookies and they still don't look nearly as good as the one's I've seen here.

Here's a pic of my "best" ones:
LL

cwcopeland Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 11:36pm
post #13 of 16

Oh. I forgot. The two bottom ones are fondant covered and painted with the icing.

megamere Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 12:55pm
post #14 of 16

cwcopeland- They look great!
penguinprincess- I put my sticks in after my cookies are through baking. I can bake more at a time this way. I let them cool for about one minute, then slide the stick in- about half way through the cookie. Sometimes this will cause a bump through the cookie from the stick, so I just pat the cookie down flat with a spatula. This way I have a nice flat surface to work with.

penguinprincess Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 3:48am
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by megamere

cwcopeland- They look great!
penguinprincess- I put my sticks in after my cookies are through baking. I can bake more at a time this way. I let them cool for about one minute, then slide the stick in- about half way through the cookie. Sometimes this will cause a bump through the cookie from the stick, so I just pat the cookie down flat with a spatula. This way I have a nice flat surface to work with.

Thank you so much for your help! I may try to make one for halloween! Wish me luck!

ANicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANicole Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 1:40pm
post #16 of 16

When I started using parchment lined baking sheets, I noticed a big improvement. You should try it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%