Cake Dummies/wedding Cake?

Decorating By prettycakes Updated 25 Oct 2007 , 5:08pm by indydebi

prettycakes Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:24pm
post #1 of 6

So, I was doing some research and saw and article about brides renting a Decorated cake dummy for their wedding and just having sheet cakes to serve to the guests to save money. icon_confused.gif As a cake decorator, I am thinking that most of the cost for the cake is the decorating, and as a bride, don't most of them want something that is unique. So, I guess what I am asking...is it possible to save money with a ornately decorated cake dummy and sheet cakes?

5 replies
indydebi Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 3:21pm
post #2 of 6

There are lots of previous threads on this issue. I recall one in which a place was renting a 3-tiered dummy cake for $100. My argument was that the cost of ingredients AND THE COST OF LABOR for the decorator to do the cake won't even be covered by $100.

I don't sell wedding sheet cakes for less than I do wedding cakes. Why? Because they usually want them delivered and my regular sheet cake price does not include delivery. 'And it's the same amount of bake time/decorate time/etc for sheets as it is for tiers. If it's not cheaper for me, why is it suppose to be cheaper for them.

So sheet cakes for 100 or 3-tiered cake for 100 is going to cost them the same thing PLUS the cost for the dummy cake. Even if you charge less for sheets and dummies than "real" cake, the combined cost is potentially the same as donig just a regular 3-tier cake, plus you have all the extra work.

It makes no sense to me.

I am not anti-dummy cakes. I use them all the time in my wedding cakes for added height and elegance. I am against articles that IMPLY to a bride that it's SO MUCH cheaper to go this route. I am anti articles that IMPLY that I will do a dummy cake for less than FAIR MARKET VALUE OF MY TIME AND TALENT.

prettycakes Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 3:48pm
post #3 of 6

Thank-you. That is what I was feeling, I just couldn't imagine how to express it. The whole idea was just driving me crazy.

jamhays Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 4:03pm
post #4 of 6

I agree w/both of you. However, I think the reason it's supposed to be cheaper for them to "rent" the dummy cake is because the decorator only had to decorate that cake ONE time, but they can rent it out HUNDREDS of times. So, yes they may lose money on the decoration price the first few times it's rented....but long term, they make money on it & that's why they can rent it so cheap.

Personally, I'd never want my wedding cake to be the exact same dusty one someone else used at their wedding. EWWWW!

mbelgard Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 4:17pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamhays

I agree w/both of you. However, I think the reason it's supposed to be cheaper for them to "rent" the dummy cake is because the decorator only had to decorate that cake ONE time, but they can rent it out HUNDREDS of times. So, yes they may lose money on the decoration price the first few times it's rented....but long term, they make money on it & that's why they can rent it so cheap.

Personally, I'd never want my wedding cake to be the exact same dusty one someone else used at their wedding. EWWWW!

I think that's the point of renting too. The only problem with it is that I can see potential for brides to decide that they should be able to get a dummy for that price from a decorator who doesn't rent dummies.

And the whole used dummy is kind of gross too.

indydebi Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 5:08pm
post #6 of 6

I guess that's assuming the dummy is returned in pristine condition? And doesn't need a "do-over"?

My dummy cakes that I have on display look great for months ... but I'm not transporting them all over the place. I took some in to my daughter's home-ec class once for a demo and I had to be really careful not to knock off any flowers or borders. I can't see non-owners of the dummies being as careful with them as we would be .... after all, "It's not a real cake, so why do we have to be careful?" icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%