Will This Work?

Decorating By Chuff Updated 25 Oct 2007 , 3:08pm by Chuff

Chuff Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 1:52pm
post #1 of 12

I have to make a birthday cake next month for 2 male co-workers (actually, one co-worker and my boss). The only thing they each have in common besides working together is that they love to play golf BUT the last 2 years we've done a golf themed cake for them and I want to do something else this year.

Here's my thought.....we work for a cotton marketing company.....what if I made a cake to look like an open boll of cotton? Mybe use a bunt pan for the cotton boll and make the leaves or "burs" out of fondant?

My other worry abot this idea is that it may seem impersonal and corperate - all about work and not about them. It's the only thing I can think of besides doing golf again.

ANY suggestions will be helpful so please let those ideas fly!!!

11 replies
all4cake Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:10pm
post #2 of 12

Are there things that each like other than golf...not necessarily in common?

The cotton idea is a great idea for a cake but I think you're right about it seeming corporate unless they are really INTO there jobs...you know how some people eat sleep breathe their jobs even when it's not necessary for PR? Some just do it for show and some do it 'cause they really want to.

Anyway, maybe you could incorporate their individual likes into one cake.

Chuff Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:30pm
post #3 of 12

Well, my boss eats, sleeps and breathes the job. The other guy - is just there for the paycheck - he hunts, likes football, golfing, and he sells real estate on the side (which is a sore subject with my boss). My boss does like football, but he's an Ole Miss fan while the other guy is a Mississippi Sate alumni.
I just hate having to make this cake for 2 people that seem to be on opposite ends of the planet!

step0nmi Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:42pm
post #4 of 12

I think the best way to solve the problem of combining bdays is coming up with a general bday theme. Then it lets the stress off of YOU! You should just do a general design with happy bday to both of them. I know that seems boring but it would make it easier on you!

MacsMom Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:43pm
post #5 of 12

I think it's a great idea! Your career is a major part of your life. I would've loved getting a cake that reflected my pre-SAHM job as a personal trainer, perhaps the athletic shoe or some dumbbells.

My neighbor just asked me to do an Aflack duck cake for his wife who sells the insurance (what a pain in the butt that turned out to be. Ever tried covering a duck's head and neck in fondant?).

I know my husband's boss would get a kick out of a giant pencil and some paper clips (Office Depot).

You could mix the fondant with gumpaste and let it dry over an inverted bowl for the curves in the pods, crumbling up plastic wrap under the edges to give the curled effect. Maybe just carve a couple of round cakes and then use Frostin Pride to create the fluffy cotton...

SweetSandee92 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:36pm
post #6 of 12

Why not make a football theme cake using the two teams?...just a thought.

all4cake Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:45pm
post #7 of 12

Ooooooookay...then don't do a theme. Make one that has those streamers and things popping out of the top. It's festive and generic while looking really wow!

Okay, I am now having picture issues...but the above two is an example of what I'm talking about.

dolfin Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:40pm
post #8 of 12

How about a football field with scoreboard,goal posts and all that, with team names in the end zones.

I for one think a job is personal, after all think of all the time one spends working. The cottom ball would be unique and I'd love to see the finished product.

buffim Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:41pm
post #9 of 12

If they both like football, but different teams, you could do a cake like a football game with a team that they like on each side.

all4cake Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:52pm
post #10 of 12

What about both teams playing at the

I have no clue if it's even possible for the teams to play it but ain't it every college teams' dream as well as their fans, to make it to a bowl game?

turtle3264 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 3:05pm
post #11 of 12

You could do a football cake without involving any of the teams. Maybe do a field with each of their names where the team name would be. I do like the ideas about their teams playing each other though.

Chuff Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 3:08pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks so much for all your ideas! I think I may do a football theme. The cake is for Nov 13th and MS State vs. Ole Miss game is on Nov 23rd so that's perfect timing!!!
For the majority of Mississippians - you're either a State fan or on Ole Miss fan - and people take it pretty serious! During the week of the 13th people will be running around here like crazy placing bets gearing up for the big game. I think it will be fitting to do the football cake at that time!!

Thank you all so much!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%