Ingredient Label When Using Cake Mixes

Decorating By vdrsolo Updated 25 Oct 2007 , 9:57pm by acookieobsession

vdrsolo Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 12:27pm
post #1 of 6

It's been requested of me to provide an ingredient list label of my cakes & icing from a client (I'm assuming for allergy issues).

Some of my cakes are from scratch, some are from majorly doctored cake mixes (I see more consistent results than scratch in some flavors).

When providing the label, do I just add all the ingredients on the back of the box, plus the ingredients I add? My concern is that people will see this list and think I just bake straight from the box and I'm worried about losing customers this way.

Thanks!

5 replies
Chuff Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:23pm
post #2 of 6

How many cakes are you making for this client? Is it possible to make the cake(s) for this particular client from scratch?

I understand what you mean though....even a simple boxed cake mix has ingredients I can't even pronounce and as soon as you put that on your list people will KNOW it's something commercial.

I also make some from scratch & some from a box. I made a scratch cake for a client once and when she called me to tell me how good it was she asked if it was from scratch - I told her yes - then she went on to tell me that she had recently dropped the lady that had previously made cakes for her because she found out the lady used box mixes. The client said "If I wanted a box mix cake - I could have just made it myself!"

I guess it was luck or coincidence that the cake I made her happend to be from scratch, but had she asked for another flavor it could have easily ended up comming from a box! Then I would have never heard the end of it!

vdrsolo Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:38pm
post #3 of 6

Huge client, several cakes a month.

I have tested numerous recipes of scratch vs doctored mix, and clients, friends, and family have chosen the doctored mix over the scratch cake, so I won't be changing the recipe.

mgdqueen Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 3:58pm
post #4 of 6

This is how I would word it: Commercial base (with ingredients listed), sour cream, eggs, flour, sugar, etc.

THEN, it looks like it's only your base, but mostly fresh ingredients...which it is anyway.

Karabear1125 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 8:44pm
post #5 of 6

Maybe she wants your ingredients to try to figure out your recipes, lol .. But anyways I would do what the above poster suggested about the commercial base and then the others.[/i]

acookieobsession Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 9:57pm
post #6 of 6

When you make a label for commercial sale you have to include all cub ingredients as well. ie you can't jsut say flour, you have to say enriched bleached flour (niacin, thia-whatever...).

I add all the cake mix ingrdients and also add in mine. Keep in mind also the ingredients should be listed fromhighest content amount to lowest.

HTH
Julia

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%