Royal Icing Help

Decorating By Mally Updated 25 Oct 2007 , 6:44am by emmascakes

Mally Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mally Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 4:25am
post #1 of 4

I've been having some problems making the wilton recipe royal icing. No matter what I try, the icing stays shiny and won't hold its shape. It is too stiff to pipe, but the flowers lose their shape and the icing tends to almost melt.

I have tried mixing it longer, but that hasn't made a difference. My bowls, mixers, etc. have all been thoroughly washed, so I don't think it's the grease issue. Any suggestions for what I'm doing wrong? Would I have better luck using egg whites instead of meringue powder?

Thanks!

3 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 6:02am
post #2 of 4

Pastuerized egg whites, lemon juice and powdered sugar make a good royal icing. It should be beaten until it is no longer shiny. then, to thin it for piping, remove a small amount and thin it slightly with more lemon juice. There are many recipes.

DEBBIE157 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DEBBIE157 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 6:21am
post #3 of 4

Have you tried adding the water sloowwwwwly while mixing? It might just be a matter of it not needing the extra teaspon or two of water. I think the recipe says " 5 to 6 tablespoons". I start with 2 and then add teaspons slowly from there.

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 6:44am
post #4 of 4

You've either not got enough sugar or not got enough egg white/egg white powder.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%