Water Effect On Cakes

Decorating By melhayes Updated 25 Oct 2007 , 12:22pm by Rincewind

melhayes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melhayes Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 4:25am
post #1 of 7

I am soooo new to cake decorating and I want to make a penguin themed cake. How do I make a "water effect" on the top of my cake to look like a lake?
Thanks,
Melissa

6 replies
PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 4:33am
post #2 of 7

Get some piping gel and tint it blue. Here is a link to Wilton, but you can usually buy it where you buy cake supplies. Walmart and Michaels carry it.

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?sku=704-105&CMP=AFC-CCF

Hope this helps...

SugarMoonCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMoonCakeCo Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 4:33am
post #3 of 7

i'm sure there are many ways - but i've painted fondant with gel colour...see my "ocean wonders" cake in my photos

teenteen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teenteen Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 4:44am
post #4 of 7

Try tinting some piping gel with a little blue gel or liquid color.

T-

Delynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Delynn Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 4:39am
post #5 of 7

Oooo Oooo I know this one...color piping gel with a tiny bit of paste icing (food) color. Pipe it on where you want it then you can use the back of a spoon to dip into it and pull up making it look like waves. Otherwise, just swirl it around with the back of a spoon. Hope this helps. I did this a couple times. Look at the water around my son's castle cake I made him. (see attached)

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 5:12am
post #6 of 7

Funny! Someone else posted a similar topic at almost the exact same time as you.

Here's the link in case anything on that thread is of assistance to you. http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-562305.html

Rincewind Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rincewind Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 12:22pm
post #7 of 7

Let me add, if you want a still water look, Toba Garrett's Cookie Glacé recipe would work really well. Just be sure to pipe a good buttercream border (around the lake area) so the glaze doesn't spread. I used it on my last cake (I wasn't going for a water effect) and my kids were, "Oooh! It's like icy water!" It was so smooth and shiny in person.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%