Is The Book "the Cake Mix Doctor" Worth It?

Decorating By Erika513x2 Updated 25 Oct 2007 , 4:21am by Elserj

Erika513x2 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 1:54am
post #1 of 21

I want to buy it but I don't want to waste my $$$$.
thanks for your opinions.

20 replies
kelleym Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:05am
post #2 of 21

I like it very much, and found it well worth the $$. I did not care as much for the Chocolate Cake Mix Doctor book.

mconrey Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:03am
post #3 of 21

I have the book and like it a lot too. The Hummingbird Cake is awesome and the chocolate kahlua cake is great too.

I remember there was a post a few months ago with someone who was going to try to make all the recipes in the book and report back on each one. Try doing a forum search - I'm sure it's still out there.

BaBa Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:11am
post #4 of 21

I always use the Cake Mix Doctor Cake book. I also did not care much for the chocolate one or the cupcake book.

MimiFord Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:07am
post #5 of 21

Well, I just ordered all three from sellers on (lower price that way), but haven't received them yet. So much for the "rave" reviews the chocolate and cupcake books received on amazon - should have asked here first. Live and learn.

PricklyPearCakes Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:17am
post #6 of 21

it is a really good book, i think it is well worth the money. I work at a catering business and we use it all the time!

aztomcat Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:10am
post #7 of 21

I think it is worth it. Besides all the doctored cakes. I have also made yummy breakfast items from the book, like apple breakfast muffins and really really easy biscotti.

I also like that is has great pictures of each cake.

bobwonderbuns Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:11am
post #8 of 21

I have all three, the cake mix doctor, cupcakes and chocolate and I like all of them. A word to the wise though, double all frosting recipes in her books. Other than that they're great for ideas and some awesome recipes! icon_biggrin.gif

lvablkmn Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:19am
post #9 of 21

Earlier there was another post about spending $ on a book. My suggestion was to get the book from the library & then you can copy the recipes that you like. I did this with the Cake Mix doctor cupcake book & several others. I type them up,print them & put them in a binder. Then I only have the ones that I like!!

cariage Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:12am
post #10 of 21

oh yes this book is worth the $$$$. I love the cream cheese icing and red velvet cake recipe. I am slowly trying to make them all. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

nl3 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:14am
post #11 of 21

I have a copy of the book and I used it so much that the book is practically falling apart. I said buy the book & its worth the money thumbs_up.gif .

tcturtleshell Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:26am
post #12 of 21

YES!! It is worth it!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif I have baked a lot of the recipes in that book & have loved everyone I've done. Especially the Snickerdoodle Cake & Hummingbird Cake! icon_smile.gif If you've ever made homemade Hummingbird cake you will know there are at least 20 or more ingredients in it. Cake Mix Dr doesn't have many ingredients at all & it tastes just as good as homemade. My book has flour, vanilla, crisco & eggs stains all over it from using it so much! IMHO It is a great investment~ thumbs_up.gif

ncbert Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:21am
post #13 of 21

I found mine at a second hand store for $4.00,so it didn't take much to twist my arm to buy it.LOL

The few recipes that I have tried such as Darn Good Chocolate Cake and the Devil's Food Cake with Buttermilk were good.

Ohhh gotta now try the Kaluha Chocolate..

ptain Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:31am
post #14 of 21

I have all three, I totally Love both cake books but I dont care much for the cupcake,, I actually like the chocolate one the best. I'am just different I guess. I really think you should get them you will love them!!!

aligotmatt Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:24am
post #15 of 21

I'm with everyone else. Totally worth the investment. Love the snickerdoodle cake, and Stacey's chocolate chip cake is SO good. It's quickly becoming my favorite cake!

Lenore Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:25am
post #16 of 21

I did buy the book and found that I personally do not like doctored cake mixes so I only used it a few times. They just taste like box cake to me. I know I am in the minority here. I like to make scratch cakes so most of my favorite recipes I found from this web site. If you want mine you can PM me your address and I will send you mine free of charge.

sgilmer Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:26am
post #17 of 21

I have the chocolate one and I LOVE IT! Most of the recipes are chocolate, but not all of them. I love chocolate, so it works good. Until I got this book, I never knew that a boxed mix could taste like something other than a cake you buy from the grocery store. It was my moms, but if someone stole it from me, I would easily buy another one. Maybe get all 3.

momvarden Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:42am
post #18 of 21

I just got mine and i have had rave reviews from the ones i have made from it. WELL WORTH THE MONEY. I purchase mine from ebay.

adawndria Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 4:06am
post #19 of 21

I do like lvablkmn, and copy the recipes I want. I've found the cakes to be good, but I think they dry out very fast. Tasty batter though! I like the Mt. Vernon Cherry Cake. I make the cake, but not necessarily the filling.

thecakemancan Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 4:05am
post #20 of 21

I don't know... I don't own it, but I have flipped through the chocolate one. First, I looked at the cover cake, I thought it was HIDEOUS! Then the first page I flipped to was in the intro, It said DON'T LEVEL THE CAKE, IT GIVES IT A MORE HOMEMADE LOOK! That really turned me off, so I haven't really looked at it since.

Elserj Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 4:21am
post #21 of 21

I got mine at a used book store and really like using it. As for the chocolate stuff, I found a really great book at a garage sale called "365 chocolate desserts". I have found that one to be more useful just because my boss's daughter is a choco-holic and then I don't have to search for a recipe since the whole book is chocolate stuff.

Quote by @%username% on %date%