Is The Book "the Cake Mix Doctor" Worth It?

Decorating By Erika513x2 Updated 25 Oct 2007 , 4:21am by Elserj

Erika513x2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erika513x2 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 1:54am
post #1 of 21

I want to buy it but I don't want to waste my $$$$.
thanks for your opinions.

20 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:05am
post #2 of 21

I like it very much, and found it well worth the $$. I did not care as much for the Chocolate Cake Mix Doctor book.

mconrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mconrey Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:03am
post #3 of 21

I have the book and like it a lot too. The Hummingbird Cake is awesome and the chocolate kahlua cake is great too.

I remember there was a post a few months ago with someone who was going to try to make all the recipes in the book and report back on each one. Try doing a forum search - I'm sure it's still out there.

BaBa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BaBa Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:11am
post #4 of 21

I always use the Cake Mix Doctor Cake book. I also did not care much for the chocolate one or the cupcake book.

MimiFord Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFord Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:07am
post #5 of 21

Well, I just ordered all three from sellers on amazon.com (lower price that way), but haven't received them yet. So much for the "rave" reviews the chocolate and cupcake books received on amazon - should have asked here first. Live and learn.

PricklyPearCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PricklyPearCakes Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:17am
post #6 of 21

it is a really good book, i think it is well worth the money. I work at a catering business and we use it all the time!

aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:10am
post #7 of 21

I think it is worth it. Besides all the doctored cakes. I have also made yummy breakfast items from the book, like apple breakfast muffins and really really easy biscotti.

I also like that is has great pictures of each cake.

Dee

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:11am
post #8 of 21

I have all three, the cake mix doctor, cupcakes and chocolate and I like all of them. A word to the wise though, double all frosting recipes in her books. Other than that they're great for ideas and some awesome recipes! icon_biggrin.gif

lvablkmn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lvablkmn Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:19am
post #9 of 21

Earlier there was another post about spending $ on a book. My suggestion was to get the book from the library & then you can copy the recipes that you like. I did this with the Cake Mix doctor cupcake book & several others. I type them up,print them & put them in a binder. Then I only have the ones that I like!!

cariage Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cariage Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:12am
post #10 of 21

oh yes this book is worth the $$$$. I love the cream cheese icing and red velvet cake recipe. I am slowly trying to make them all. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

nl3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nl3 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:14am
post #11 of 21

I have a copy of the book and I used it so much that the book is practically falling apart. I said buy the book & its worth the money thumbs_up.gif .

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:26am
post #12 of 21

YES!! It is worth it!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif I have baked a lot of the recipes in that book & have loved everyone I've done. Especially the Snickerdoodle Cake & Hummingbird Cake! icon_smile.gif If you've ever made homemade Hummingbird cake you will know there are at least 20 or more ingredients in it. Cake Mix Dr doesn't have many ingredients at all & it tastes just as good as homemade. My book has flour, vanilla, crisco & eggs stains all over it from using it so much! IMHO It is a great investment~ thumbs_up.gif

ncbert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncbert Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:21am
post #13 of 21

I found mine at a second hand store for $4.00,so it didn't take much to twist my arm to buy it.LOL

The few recipes that I have tried such as Darn Good Chocolate Cake and the Devil's Food Cake with Buttermilk were good.

Nancy

Ohhh gotta now try the Kaluha Chocolate..

ptain Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptain Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:31am
post #14 of 21

I have all three, I totally Love both cake books but I dont care much for the cupcake,, I actually like the chocolate one the best. I'am just different I guess. I really think you should get them you will love them!!!

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:24am
post #15 of 21

I'm with everyone else. Totally worth the investment. Love the snickerdoodle cake, and Stacey's chocolate chip cake is SO good. It's quickly becoming my favorite cake!

Lenore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenore Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:25am
post #16 of 21

I did buy the book and found that I personally do not like doctored cake mixes so I only used it a few times. They just taste like box cake to me. I know I am in the minority here. I like to make scratch cakes so most of my favorite recipes I found from this web site. If you want mine you can PM me your address and I will send you mine free of charge.

sgilmer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgilmer Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:26am
post #17 of 21

I have the chocolate one and I LOVE IT! Most of the recipes are chocolate, but not all of them. I love chocolate, so it works good. Until I got this book, I never knew that a boxed mix could taste like something other than a cake you buy from the grocery store. It was my moms, but if someone stole it from me, I would easily buy another one. Maybe get all 3.

momvarden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momvarden Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:42am
post #18 of 21

I just got mine and i have had rave reviews from the ones i have made from it. WELL WORTH THE MONEY. I purchase mine from ebay.

adawndria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adawndria Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 4:06am
post #19 of 21

I do like lvablkmn, and copy the recipes I want. I've found the cakes to be good, but I think they dry out very fast. Tasty batter though! I like the Mt. Vernon Cherry Cake. I make the cake, but not necessarily the filling.

thecakemancan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemancan Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 4:05am
post #20 of 21

I don't know... I don't own it, but I have flipped through the chocolate one. First, I looked at the cover cake, I thought it was HIDEOUS! Then the first page I flipped to was in the intro, It said DON'T LEVEL THE CAKE, IT GIVES IT A MORE HOMEMADE LOOK! That really turned me off, so I haven't really looked at it since.

Elserj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elserj Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 4:21am
post #21 of 21

I got mine at a used book store and really like using it. As for the chocolate stuff, I found a really great book at a garage sale called "365 chocolate desserts". I have found that one to be more useful just because my boss's daughter is a choco-holic and then I don't have to search for a recipe since the whole book is chocolate stuff.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%