Fondant Covered Cake Pricing

Decorating By D77 Updated 25 Oct 2007 , 4:14am by KoryAK

D77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
D77 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 1:30am
post #1 of 9

What do you typically charge for fondant covered cakes?

8 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 1:55am
post #2 of 9

Many people charge $1.00 more per serving than for buttercream. In many places this would equal $3.00 - $4.50 per serving, but this is variable depending on where you live. Best thing to do is call local bakeries and ask what their per-serving cost is for fondant cakes.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:19am
post #3 of 9

My base price for fondant with only buttercream filling is currently $2.50.. but will be going up to a minimum of $3 starting Jan 1.. And I am about 1 hr south of you.

nl3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nl3 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:20am
post #4 of 9

I find setting the price is the hardest thing to do. I do call the local bakeries for their current price but I can only call so many times without them recognizing my voice icon_sad.gif. I took a business class of how to set price and I find that it only works sometimes. Any suggestions?

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:36am
post #5 of 9

if you calculate your costs that will help you tremedously.

I helped out at a bakery over the weekend, for one of the wedding cakes i started with a new 20lb bucket of satin ice, i weighed the contents when i had finished. in all it took 7lb of fondant. This bakery rarely does fondant cakes and way under charged for it. i let them know how much i used, hopefully they wont make that mistake again. You'll be surprised once you start adding up everything, it costs more then one would think.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:30am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by nl3

I find setting the price is the hardest thing to do. I do call the local bakeries for their current price but I can only call so many times without them recognizing my voice icon_sad.gif. I took a business class of how to set price and I find that it only works sometimes. Any suggestions?

Psssssst. icon_lol.gif

wendy1273 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendy1273 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 3:46am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by D77

What do you typically charge for fondant covered cakes?

Is very difficult to answer this question because everything depends not only on how much you spend on material but the work that you put into it, how long did it take you to make and also the details of the cake.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 4:03am
post #8 of 9

I charge the same amount for my fondant covered cakes as I do for buttercream.

jibbies

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 4:14am
post #9 of 9

I used to charge $1 more per serving for fondant, but then I realized that I would rather work in that than buttercream. Instead of taking BC off the menu (which I considered) I just made the prices the same (the higher one, of course icon_smile.gif) to promote it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%