Craft For School Halloween Party

Lounge By sportsmom005 Updated 27 Oct 2007 , 3:21am by sportsmom005

sportsmom005 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 12:46am
post #1 of 8

Ok, my 6th grade son's teacher sends a note home today asking me to organize the Halloween party icon_surprised.gif. Normally, I do not mind, but I prefer more than a week's notice, especially when I have to call other parents and need to send a note home asking parents to send things in.

Anyway...I need a craft project for the kids to do. Not too complicated, but I don't want it to be childish because the kids are in 6th grade.

Any ideas???

7 replies
trumpetmidget Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:29am
post #2 of 8

I just saw this great craft today on Martha Stewart that 6th graders would think is cool and I think they could do it. It is a spider egg with a hole and a spider by the hole and a glow stick inside. What you do is mix plaster of paris and put it in a balloon. Blow the balloon up and shake it around until you don't hear it shake anymore. Once it dries, you pop the balloon carefully and peel it away. You should have a hollow plaster of paris ball. Then you carefully put a hole in it that looked like a spider broke through. Then, glue a spider on the side of it and put a glow stick in the egg through the hole. But, I just realized, I have no idea how long it takes for plaster of paris to dry, so you may not have time to do that activity.
Another idea is get silver sparkle pipe cleaners. Cut them in half and then twist four halves together so you have a star of eight spokes. Then, you wrap string (preferably thin like fishing line) around to make a web. Then you stick a spider on it or you could hange one down from it. Stick a magnet on the back and wah-la.
Hope this gives you some ideas. I lvoe to do crafts.
Good luck!

sportsmom005 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 3:33am
post #3 of 8

Wow, the first idea sounds really neat but I know we won't have time. We are only going to have like 10-15 minutes to do the craft, th eparty is only an hour. Definitely saving it for future use, though.
The second one is good, too. Definitely something to consider...Thanks!

swingme83 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 8:15pm
post #4 of 8

im doing decorate a cookie for the 2nd grade. it would still work foor 6th grade but you can actually use piping bags and what not where i have to use paint brushes or wooden sticks.

sportsmom005 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 9:55pm
post #5 of 8

We're decorating cupcakes (bloodshot eyeballs and I'm filling them with strawberry jam so when they bite them "blood" oozes out) but the teacher wants a craft item, too. Something the kids can take home...if I had more time I could've ordered from Oriental Trading or something, but she just sent the note home yesterday icon_cry.gif.

It's hard because they're in 6th grade...I don't want something cheesy. At that age, they all think they're sooo grown up.

artist63 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 11:32pm
post #6 of 8

I like the spider egg idea too, what if you made the "eggs" at home and let them peel the ballon off and do the rest of it?

DeniseRoy Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 1:29am
post #7 of 8

Yesterday in our newspaper they had ink pens that looked like fingers. Just wrap model magic around a disposible pen use a toothpick to add lines in the finger then glue on a fake fingernail. They looked really cool.

sportsmom005 Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 3:21am
post #8 of 8

Thanks everyone for the ideas, they were all great and very appreciated and got some ideas rolling.

Here's what we decided on...

I found these neat clear plastic test tubes and we're going to make a bunch of slime for the kids to fill them with. I even got tiny plastic ants to put in it...I think they'll be neat. We're going to do green slime and a red one, too.

Janitors probably won't like the mess, though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%