Anyone Tried Lard??

Baking By DelightsByE Updated 25 Oct 2010 , 1:53pm by milkmaid42

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 9:12pm
post #151 of 158

Grannys3Angels- No, I've never fried whole new potatoes. They sound wonderful.

I cooked a ham, mashed potatoes, creamed corn, salad today for "Sunday Dinner" and had 3 other families over after church. I also made some of those green beans EXACTLY like Indydebi said and they were wonderful (and I threw in a few new potatoes). They are also good with fresh green beans, but I didn't have any and even if I did, I didn't want to shap them. icon_redface.gif One of the older couples there talked about how good they were. I take that as a huge compliment when older people compliment you on your cooking. icon_biggrin.gif

Tasso? I can't believe I live right next door in TX and have never heard of it.

PixieDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PixieDiva Posted 31 Oct 2007 , 2:38am
post #152 of 158

I either cook my green beans in bacon and fresh garlic or a mixture of olive oil and butter and garlic. Bacon is better. I NEVER eat canned green beans, YUCK! Fresh with bacon is the way to go!

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 31 Oct 2007 , 3:45am
post #153 of 158

Call me crazy but I love canned green beans. I love them cooked with the bacon and onions but also love them from a can with just butter on them. I have never purchased fresh beans at the store. I eat them fresh in the summertime from the garden or canned the rest of the year. Just could never afford to buy fresh in the winter. icon_lol.gif I'm one of those poor folks that used lard. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Diane

DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 31 Oct 2007 , 3:48am
post #154 of 158

Canned green beans are good cold right out of the can too! thumbs_up.gif

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 31 Oct 2007 , 3:52am
post #155 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightsByE

Canned green beans are good cold right out of the can too! thumbs_up.gif

Okay....I draw the line there. I cannot go cold beans. Every time I look at 3 bean salad, I want to throw up. icon_lol.gif Same as pea salad. I have a theory that certain vegetables were meant to be served hot. Putting them in a jello salad is a no--no in my book also. My mom and aunt used to do that when I was a kid--YUK! The only one I like is the shredded carrots and pineapple in orange jello. It's a Thanksgiving tradition at our house.

Diane

DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 31 Oct 2007 , 3:56am
post #156 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionladydi

Okay....I draw the line there. I cannot go cold beans. Every time I look at 3 bean salad, I want to throw up. icon_lol.gif Same as pea salad. I have a theory that certain vegetables were meant to be served hot. Putting them in a jello salad is a no--no in my book also. My mom and aunt used to do that when I was a kid--YUK! The only one I like is the shredded carrots and pineapple in orange jello. It's a Thanksgiving tradition at our house.

Diane

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

himmlisch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
himmlisch Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 10:42pm
post #157 of 158

I accidentally made buttercream with lard today. I was browsing the baking aisle, and saw a tub of something called "Armour". I mistook it for "Alpine" and bought it. Well.. now I have pork flavored chocolate buttercream. It's disgusting.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 1:53pm
post #158 of 158

OK, I just found this thread and have successfully waded through all eleven pages. (With a slow loading dial -up, that it quite a commitment.) I just have to throw my 2 cents in also. (Hey, I just noticed keyboards no longer have a cent symbol, only $. Inflation hits again.)

Lard in one of my staples in the kitchen. No, I didn't grow up poor, nor in the South. Speaking of Southern cooking, we need to go just a little further south to Mexico. I cannot imagine making fresh flour tortillas without lard. And enchiladas, empanadas, any sauce.... Oh my gosh, that is where the authentic flavor dwells! As previously stated, lard takes biscuits, breads, pie crusts, almost any baked goods to a new level in tenderness, flakiness and flavor.

As for bacon drippings---Oh, it is so refreshing to find that I am not the only one who grew up with a can on the counter dedicated to that wonderful seasoning! I have one to this day and in addition to all the previously stated uses, try a little spoonful stirred into fresh (or frozen) green peas just prior to serving. Unbelievable!

I was just about to respond with a history lesson, Chaptips, but you saved me the trouble. With an avid interest in homestead arts, I have raised, slaughtered and rendered fats from my own steers, pigs, and sheep. The suet, (kidney fat) from the steer is excellent in steamed plum pudding and actually, mincemeat originally was (and still can be) made from beef and it is delicious. I've made soap that rivals the best beauty bars...but here I digress.

Indydebi, one of the best breakfasts to me is sausage and biscuits. Like you, I am "a little of this, and a smidge of that" kind of cook. I brown the sausage, stir in some flour, stir and cook for a minute then pour in sufficient milk for the thickness I like. (And I like it rather thick.) Add a little garlic powder and ground sage and black pepper. Mentally, I can savor it as I type. Since it is morning, I think that is just what I am going to go make right now.

Thanks for this fun thread

Jan

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%